1996 Triumph Trophy 900cc Coolant Change Query

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Luke Turner, Jun 6, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Luke Turner

Luke Turner New Member

Jun 6, 2020
    Warwick
    Hi all,

Disclaimer: I'm not familiar with Triumphs - I inherited the bike but am looking to sell so I wanted to give it the once over before I do.

Drained, flushed & changed the coolant yesterday but she only took 2.2ltrs not the specified 2.8ltrs. I followed the Haynes manual almost to a tee. Why wasn't there the room for the last 0.6ltrs?

Here's what I did:

- Drilled the rivets & removed the expansion tank to clean the sludge with a handful of nuts then refitted it
    - Whilst on the centre stand I removed rad cap & then the water pump bolt to drain the coolant
    - Then removed the engine jacket bolt to drain more coolant
    - Put the bike on side stand & removed a small rubber hose from the bottom big rad pipe (looked like the lowest point)
    - Stuck a hose in the top of the rad & flushed it out till it all ran clear from the three outlets
    - Put the bike back on its centre stand & refitted both bolts along with rubber hose
    - Slowly poured in the coolant being careful of air pockets till it brimmed the top of the rad & refitted the cap
    - Filled the expansion tank to the max level
    - Fired up the bike & idled for 5-10 mins with the occasional blip of the throttle
    - Let it cool down & released pressure from the rad cap then topped that back up along with the expansion tank to the max level

I've still got 0.6ltrs of coolant left? Why?

Cheers!

2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I had the same thing with my Daytona. The Triumph manual says that the capacity is more than I managed to fit in.
    It makes me wonder if the capacity they quote is the maximum you’d use if you filled the system including topping up the expansion tank. :grinning:

3. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Thats it 2 litres roughly.