Trophy 1996 Triumph Trophy 900 Won't Start...

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by Luke Turner, Oct 12, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Luke Turner

Luke Turner New Member

Jun 6, 2020
    Warwick
    To cut a long story short - I inherited the bike 3 years ago & it was stood for 2 of those years at my family home. I relocated the bike to my home in Warwick & had it MOT'd & serviced last November but it's stood in the garage since on trickle charge with the occasional start & idle for 20 mins.

I'd made the tough decision to sell the bike to free up space & funds to aid in the restoration/maintenance of my other motorbikes. The chap who wanted it came up from London yesterday to ride it home so I went to fire it up to show him she runs but nothing... she was turning over but wouldn't fire. I'd had the damn thing running the day before & the morning of!

I don't understand what could've changed in such a short period of time?! Unless it's my old man telling me I shouldn't be selling it...

Something that might be noteworthy:

I've noticed the alarm fob doesn't beep/work as it did before - I replaced the battery in the fob itself but still nothing. That said it hasn't been working for months but she still ran so I find it hard to believe the immobiliser has anything to do with it but I could be wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Triumphal385

Triumphal385 Active Member

Mar 23, 2020
    South East
    If it has OBD, that would be a good start.
    If fault codes don't point you in the right direction, then back to basics, fault finding from the battery onwards.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Luke Turner

Luke Turner New Member

Jun 6, 2020
    Warwick
    It doesn't I'm afraid.

I've tried a few squirts of Easy Start after a trip to Halfords tonight but it's a bit difficult to know whether it's reaching the right place what with the long air intake tubes but it didn't seem to make a difference - she's still not firing.

I've got some fresh fuel now so will drain the tank & carbs then fill the tank with the new stuff.

I had a look at the fuses & upon pulling out & replacing the 30A fuse for the ignition switch I heard an audible beep, the key fob now arms/disarms the bike but she still doesn't want to fire.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Luke Turner
    If you can take the plugs out and pour a cap of fuel down each cylinder plus make sure the plugs are almost hot when you reinstall them see if it kicks in and clears herself but be careful of the old easy start as it can affect valve rubbers and things.
    Regards
    Joe.

6. Luke Turner

Luke Turner New Member

Jun 6, 2020
    Warwick
    How do I drain the tank? Can't see anything obvious or easy to pull apart...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Luke Turner

Luke Turner New Member

Jun 6, 2020
    Warwick
    Drained all 3 carb bowls, removed the rear fairing & pulled off the black plastic air intake tubes to properly try the Easy Start but still nothing so I'm drawing a line under that option.

• Like Like x 2
  8. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Luke Turner
    I would just take the tank of. Then use a independent fuel supply.
    Regards
    Joe.

9. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Luke Turner
    By now you have just flooded the plugs. They will need cleaning and drying out..
    Regards
    Joe.

10. Luke Turner

Luke Turner New Member

Jun 6, 2020
    Warwick
    Hi Joe,

Cheers for the responses.

You say that like it's a simple task! To do that I've got to remove all of the front fairings, disconnect & remove the fuel tank & then whatever else is in the way. The middle plug looks like it's tight underneath the downtube so getting a plug socket into there looks near impossible even with everything off.

I've most probably flooded the plugs with the amount of trying tonight but they wouldn't have been flooded when I went to run her the other morning so something else is amiss.

I love working on my old bikes, don't get me wrong, but these modern ones don't half look challenging with the huge amount of stuff crammed in. I may swallow my pride & ring the garage tomorrow...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Luke Turner
    Sorry mate but it has to be done. Or like you say let a dealer take it on they have all the correct tools and plug spanners. But it won't be cheap. I take it you have tried all the kill switches like side stand clutch lever. I had one once with the clutch lever switch had moved took me days to find out. If you can see if it is getting spark and all the sensors are working.
    Regards
    Joe.