1993 triumph trident 750

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by roundy, Apr 7, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. roundy

roundy New Member

Apr 7, 2014
    Hi im after some advice from triumph owners on whether or not to buy a 1993 750 triumph trident, i was all for buying one from a local bike shop today but while researching on the internet for any common faults i came accross the trouble with the starter sprag..... should i avoid buying or not, any help would be helpfull.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    Actually the earlier ones are easier to fix if there is an issue with it as there is an inspection plate where you can fix the issue without pulling the engine to bits.

The Trident is a great bike and the 750 is a great engine, what is the mileage of the bike what is the condition and what is the price.

Other things to look out for are front fork seals apart from that the bikes are fairly bulletproof.

These bikes are starting to go up in value so a good one is going to be worth a bit of money soon and they are a really good bike to ride.

Cheers

Steve

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. roundy

roundy New Member

Apr 7, 2014
    Hi Steve, many thanks for your reply the bike is a 1993 L reg with just over 20.000 miles on the clock and apart from the odd mark on it is in very good condition and priced at £1500.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    #4 SteveJ, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
    Sounds like a reasonable price for the mileage and age.

Ask the guy if the sprag clutch has been replaced as well as fork seals. another thing to check is if the rear suspension linkages have been greased as they can cause issues if they haven't been looked after. The only other thing I can think of is the exhaust silencers some of the earlier ones had an issue with rusting out around the hangers. Apart from that it is just the usual things checking that the engine and chassis numbers match and seeing what sort of history the bike has got service wise.

If the bike is a bit of a bugger to keep idiling when it is cold don't be too worried they all are a bit like that and it takes a bit of pratice to get used to the choke on them although my 97 750 isn't as bad as the Daytona 1000.

Always worth asking if they are willing to take £200 off.

Best of luck

Steve

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Julian Wallis

Julian Wallis THE CORNISH PIXIE

Jun 9, 2020
    Cornwall
    Hi Roundy! The sprag clutch can be problematic but pulling in the clutch when you start it saves the damage.
    You would soon know if the sprag was gone, it sounds like a thousand grinders all working at once! When it is started.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Don’t think Roundy will be reading your reply as he posted his question in April 2014 and last seen on here 5years ago ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1