1993 Trident Misfire/backfire

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Ecossie, Mar 17, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ecossie

Ecossie New Member

Mar 17, 2020
    Dumfries
    #1 Ecossie, Mar 17, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    My first post is sadly a tale of woe.
    I bought a 93 Trident 900 in need of work but am struggling to get it to run properly. I’ve many years experience restoring motorcycles but this is the first triple (previous bikes have mainly been Guzzi’s and a Armstrongs) I’ve tackled
    The bike will start on choke but runs really rough, won’t rev cleanly, spits and emits flame from the pipes.
    I’ve rebuilt the carbs (new needles/rubbers set float heights etc) I’ve also tested the resistance on the coils (LT and HT) and all within tolerances
    I’ve also checked the pick up and checked its clearance to the timing wheel.
    Plugs look fine are the correct grade and all spark on the button.
    I’m running the engine on a remote fuel rig so I can monitor the fuel being used and ensure the needle valves shut correctly.
    The bike starts but won’t rev and is popping and banging throughout the rev range with some fairly impressive blue flames exiting the manifold (silencers are off)
    I suspected a cyl 3 coil issue so moved the coils around to see if it moved with the coil but it didn’t.
    I’ve done a compression test which revealed 135/145/145 psi
    The issue feels like the timing is way out but it’s popping at idle too so I’ve discounted it not advancing correctly.
    The only thing I can’t test is the ignitor so I’m at a loss as to what to try next.
    Anybody had any similar issues?

2. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Hi Ecossie, and welcome in :cool::cool: Am sure someone will be along to help very soon ;);)

3. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Re check pilot jets. (Next to main jet). You will need to poke some copper wire through tbem. Airline or ultrasonic cleaning don't work as holes are too small. 90 % of running issues are blocked pilot jets on these.

• Like Like x 2
  4. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I’m not sure on the triples but the fours have two fuel feed lines to the carbs.
    If you’re using a fuel rig rather than the tank it’s worth checking that all carbs are getting fuel properly.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ecossie

Ecossie New Member

Mar 17, 2020
    Dumfries
    Thanks for your response. I removed the pilot jets and ran carb cleaner and compressed air through them. As you say the hole is tiny but they all appeared clear and the same size.

6. MICK64

MICK64 Active Member

Sep 15, 2020
    NEW FOREST. ENGLAND
    Having similar problem with mine mate. Middle cylinder not firing, coil looked burnt on the outside, so must have been getting seriously hot. fitted 3 new coils, and rebuilt the carbs, but no better. tomorrow i am going to check the plug leads for good fit, and fit more new plugs. Here's hoping.

7. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Check manifold for leaks , running lean because air is getting in after the carbs ? This will cause poor response and running at all revs. Easy check , use WD-40 or similar or Aero Start , spray sparingly around the inlet port/rubber on the cylinder you suspect....

8. MICK64

MICK64 Active Member

Sep 15, 2020
    NEW FOREST. ENGLAND
    Thank you for the reply.
    It had new inlet rubbers fitted a couple of months ago. But if the electrical side does not fix it, i will do the leak test.

9. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Have you checked the valve clearances as they tighten up with use.

10. MICK64

MICK64 Active Member

Sep 15, 2020
    NEW FOREST. ENGLAND
    Not yet, just fired it up, and running fine, Now going ro ride it and see what happens?

11. sprintdave

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    You know it will play up again dont you? Just when you think the issue has gone away.

12. MICK64

MICK64 Active Member

Sep 15, 2020
    NEW FOREST. ENGLAND
    Ran like a bag of shit, on 2 cylinders, for about 3 miles. then bogged right down to barely running at all for the last mile. Heap of of shit, needs setting fire to. Next time out, that is what the fucking thing is going to get too. Worse bike i ever had, Fuck Triumph, and their 2 bob design team.of wankers.

13. sprintdave

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    I guess you ain't happy then , right. The bike is close on 30 years old and needs love and attention, I dont suppose you perform as well as you did when you were much younger. Dont throw your toys out of the pram I'm sure you can get it sorted, these bikes are very reliable just need tlc first.

14. MICK64

MICK64 Active Member

Sep 15, 2020
    NEW FOREST. ENGLAND
    Fair comment. That was just a drunken rant, from a seriously pissed off bloke.:)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  15. sprintdave

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Lol been there done that.
    Dont give up.
    Good luck mate

• Like Like x 2
  16. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    That would be quite amusing if it wasn't serious.

There's more than a few people on here who have covered many trouble free miles on one or other of the T300 range of bikes (Trident; Daytona; Trophy; Speed; Sprint and Thunderbird) so the "2 bob design" isn't really a candidate for criticism. Ask Stevethegoolie! That said, when they're bad, they're very, VERY bad! But that's true of pretty much any mechanical automotive device.

Anyway, drunken rant aside, I can understand the frustration. But, stick with it, if you can, the rewards are definitely worth the effort. There are some things that you really must check and try :-

1) @t552 is absolutely spot on - the pilots on these are a right, royal PITA. I've known people have them ultrasonically cleaned and STILL have running issues. Thin electrical wire, shitloads of carb. cleaner, the patience of a Saint and a sacrifical goat to the Gods of Motorcycling will be the minimum requirement to overcome residue-blocked pilot jets.

2) T3s seem to be highly sensitive to airbox modifications. If yours doesn't have the original airbox, see if you can find a secondhand one to try. Also, make sure that ALL of the connections to the airbox are on and secure, including the breather hose. Changes to the intake system can make a big difference to how they run. Or if they run.

3) The coils are generally reliable but they aren't the best in the world. There are, apparently, better coils out there (nology?) so that may be an avenue to explore. @t552 might also be able to help if you do find the coils to be problematic - not sure if it's still the case but he used to be able to supply stick coils that are a big improvement.

4) It's a well known fact that 95% of all electrical misfires and poor running issues are caused by carburation problems! It's a sort of inverse Sod's Law. An early T3 with Mikunis is the living proof of this immutable law.

5) I have a 'spare' ECU somewhere that I'd be happy to let you try - on the strict understanding that you'll pay the postage and return it to me undamaged when you've finished the test. Let me know if you're interested. And trustworthy. ;)

Finally, if all this fails then consider contacting Clive WOOD. He is THE guru on all things T3. His place is in Lincolnshire but 240 miles isn't THAT far and if you can get it booked in with him ( he is ALWAYS busy and booked way in advance) and transported there then you're pretty much guaranteed a solution. You may also be able to watch him work on the bike and, therefore, learn a lot more about it.

Good luck with it all. I'm pretty sure that you'll find that the rewards from the bike will quickly make you forget the frustration - there's something about the exhaust note and grunt of an early Trident that is wholly addictive. Had one of mine from new in 1992 and would never, ever willingly let it go.

• Love You Love You x 1
  17. MICK64

MICK64 Active Member

Sep 15, 2020
    NEW FOREST. ENGLAND
    Thank you. I think i am going to need it. :)

18. Rog

Rog New Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Forest of Dean, UK
    Just a long shot here - the Mikuni carbs (I presume yours are Mikuni?) each have a vacuum take off point on the top. 1 usually goes to the vacuum operated fuel tap and the other 2 are capped off with a rubbery plastic shroud thing (technical term).
    Did you check they are capped - they are plastic caps/pipe and prone to breaking off too, or cracking around the base. There should be a very small "O" ring under the tube in the cap that seals it to the top of the carb. The vacuum tubes are used for balancing the carbs, but if left uncapped you have a nice route for air to get sucked into the inlets, making it run with a weak mixture.
    My '96 Sprint ran rough as a badger's bum until I stripped and rebuilt the carbs (full of nice ethanol "cottage cheese") a couple of times - even after the first clean, one of the pilot jets managed to get clogged again. One carb had a vacuum tube that was cracked around its base which I fixed by drilling the hole out and gluing in a small brass tube, and a second carb was missing the tiny "O" ring.
    Balancing them properly helped too.
    Mine has the standard air box, but with a K&N style filter in it (from Sprint Manufacturing), which it seems happy with.

Dunno if the above is helpful, but maybe it will trigger some ideas...

• Like Like x 1
  19. MICK64

MICK64 Active Member

Sep 15, 2020
    NEW FOREST. ENGLAND
    Does it make any difference which carb the vacuum hose fits onto ?. And i never got any O rings to fit inside the caps, with my rebuild kit. Will not having them, make a difference to the running ? Also, the 3 inlets on the back, top of the carbs, show hoses on them in the book. How long should they be, and where should they go ? I have 3 cone filters, not the original airbox. Thank you.

20. Rog

Rog New Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Forest of Dean, UK
    I have a Sprint with Mikuni carbs (the Keihins would be different), but the left (as you sit on the bike) carb top vacuum outlet has a tube to the fuel tap (again left side of the tank), and the other two are capped off, so sealed.
    upload_2021-9-16_17-13-14.png
    Sorry for the crappy image, but the best I could find -- the arrowed tube is the one I am referring to, and faces the front of the bike on each carb.
    upload_2021-9-16_17-21-45.png
    My manual shows the o-ring as Item 3 in the diagram.
    If you are missing the o-rings, then it could possibly be leaking air and make the mixture run lean, especially at tickover and low throttle. Similarly if any vacuum points are open, then they will allow air straight to the inlet bypassing the carbs.
    If you have the Keihin carbs, you will need to look up the information on those as they may be different.

I have heard that cone filters do cause fuelling problems, and can be a real bar-steward to set up properly.
    Hope this is of help.

• Like Like x 2