1977 T140v Timing Cover Gasket

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Eric27, Jun 6, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Eric27

Eric27 Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Canada
    I need to change the timing cover gasket on my 1977 t140v but need tutoring. I’m not sure how the Boyer ignition comes off or if it needs to. Any help or video links?
    Cheers

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Set engine at 38 deg BTDC, remove points cover and the hole in the trigger base plate should allow you to see the marker on one of the inner rotor arms, if in line leave as is and remove the two pillar screws and remove plate, remove the bolt holding the rotor to the camshaft and use the next size up bolt to then screw in a little and gently tap it up n down as this will break the tapper seal and it will come off. Then you can remove the outer timing cover :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Quite Correct. One word of warning when you take the cover don't do like i did and disturb the valve timing sprockets. The Peeps here had a terrible time get it right again for me.
    Regards
    Joe

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Eric27

Eric27 Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Canada
    Thanks
    I will try this.
    Is there a tapper seal that I will need

5. Eric27

Eric27 Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Canada
    Not
    noted
    Cheers

6. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    As you have the cover off i suggest you get both of the seals, the points cover seal and the crank shaft feed seal. the points seal just pushes out and push new one back in and the crank shaft feed seal you have to remove a clip ring and pull out the old seal and then tap in the new one and refit clip ring, with the crank seal although the same size as points seal you are advised to only use one made by Pioneer and Weston as they are the only people making them to withstand the oil pressure from the pump and there are a lot of people selling cheap seals that are only good for the points seal that are not pressure rated. Also take note of direction of seals as the return lip on points seal faces the engine as pressure is inside engine but the crank seal return lip faces outwards as its dealing with oil pressure coming from the oil pump through the outer cover. There is also a special seal tool for the points seal.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Eric27

Eric27 Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Canada
    Thanks again
    Keep safe

• Like Like x 1