1977 T140 Primary Drive/chain Case Oil

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Jackb, Mar 9, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jackb

Jackb New Member

Dec 27, 2017
    Uk
    Hi. First time posting. New to for am and new to my recently bought T140.
    Came with no manual or hand book. Wanting to check an change oils. Model has frame oil resavoir. From what I can find the only oil filter is the gauze one mounted on a four bolt carrier plate?
    Next is chain case. Getting conflicting info here. One source tells that oil is shared by engine oil. Other that is separate and uses a different and uses a 10W/30 multi grade. Can anyone out there give me some guidance please?? Would be grateful.

2. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    #2 darkman, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    As the t140 has the big crankcase breather pipe poking out of the rear of the primary case the chain is oiled by engine oil being thrown through the left hand main bearing into the chain case, not like the early bikes that had a seal on the crankshaft and timed breather. The level is controlled by 3 small holes in the case allowing oil to return to the sump. By all means remove primary case cover to clean out any dirt when you do the oil change as well as cleaning the oil gauze on the bottom of the down tube there is a drain plug and another gauze in the sump so that you can drain and clean it as well, after all this pour 1/4 liter of oil back into engine crank case to prime the oil pump. Fill frame up to bottom of dip stick and run engine to check the oil return pipe is working, then if ok top up to correct level on stick. I would recommend that you use Castrol Classic 20/50 engine oil and change it every year or 1000 miles.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Jackb

Jackb New Member

Dec 27, 2017
    Uk
    Darkman. Thank you for a great reply. That nicely pulls all bits of info together for me. Just what I was looking for. Grateful . Jackb.

• Like Like x 2
  4. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    You can also buy a filter that fits in the down tube and replaces the gauze if you want a bit better filtration.

• Informative Informative x 1