1977 T140 Clutch Basket Wear

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Jim Hargreaves, Dec 27, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jim Hargreaves

Jim Hargreaves Well-Known Member

Hi
    I need a bit of advice
    I don’t know the history of my bike(1977 T140) at all it was very beat up when I got it and not running so I’ve been stripping down and I’m at the stage where I still have the barrel on and just the crank shaft pinion ( in need of the special puller) still on. This is the first bike I’ve ever stripped apart from a couple of 2 strokes decades ago that I took the barrels off so I’m a bit green on what is acceptable wear. Up to now I haven’t found any scoring or shafts and bushes that have any play but the clutch basket and centre shock absorber slots seem bumpy as in little tiny waves where the plate tabs engage with them. I can’t seem to find any info on what is acceptable wear. Any help appreciated
    Thanks Jim

2. Jim Hargreaves

A few photos

5001B1F4-9927-4830-8B14-B9DCD0846DB3.jpeg

D72D45FD-95FF-4610-9761-8236B0635F87.jpeg

C15ECD1A-D0DF-453A-BD75-D2FBD387C972.jpeg

F29E7BBB-564C-4447-AE79-EB6EE2FBAEF8.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  3. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Do you plan to strip the engine completely Jim.

4. Doc Strange

Doc Strange Senior Member

Aug 8, 2019
    UK
    Love the shape of those US-Spec Bonnies' tanks.

Hope it ends up as you'd like it :)

DS

• Like Like x 2
  5. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Doesn't sound too bad it's the damper rubbers that wear and then the plates start to get hammered and the slots can get worn I have seen the basket slots really notched and the ends of the plate tabs really bad, if minor you can dress with a file.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Jim Hargreaves

Thanks for the reply I’ll check the rubbers

7. Jim Hargreaves

Yes my main aim is to clean out the sludge tube and check the crank bearings, cam bushes and clean out all the oil ways

• Like Like x 2
  8. Jim Hargreaves

Thats what attracted me to the bike the US-spec looks so cool. I just got my hands on a drop side seat to complete the look.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Iron

Iron Guest

#9 Iron, Jan 3, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2021
    Yours look pretty good in comparison to some I've had. You can file them down a bit to remove the lips. Check the clutch plates as well as they can get lips on the tabs and can stick. A right pain in traffic as you need to get into neutral every time you stop as it'll want to creep forward even with the clutch lever pulled right in. Eventually the only cure is a new clutch basket, but yours looks fine. You'll tell when you are riding it.

Worth having a look at John (lunmad) doing his stuff on youtube. No expensive tools doing his thing in his lean-to. Just an ace bloke who knows his way round the old trumpets. Have a look to see how bad his clutch baskets are - jeez.

https://www.youtube.com/user/lunmad

• Like Like x 2