1971 T120rv Bonneville

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Racer99, Jan 3, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Racer99

Racer99 New Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Jacksonville Florida
    Looking for a little help. I have a 1971 T120RV, and no it doesn't have the Quafe 5 speed, it a factory V (5 speed) serial No GE27XXX. Those in the know recognize that number as last of the production run for 1971.

I have found plenty of anecdotal references to the 200 factory built 5 speeds made for the US market prior to the 1972 release. the key difference on these models is 1st and 5th gear ratios are the same as 1st and 4th on the 1971 4 speed. 1972 they changed 5th.

I am looking for a Triumph confirmation that this is true. anyone else know about these?

Thanks in advance.

2. Daniel Wright

Daniel Wright Member

Jan 26, 2018
    Cannock, Staffordshire
    Hi sorry i don't know any details on the bike just the fact i brought one the W/E I didn't know it was one of the limited 5 speeds that were built when i brought it because all i was interested in was buying a bonnie to restore, since checking on the internet there are some quite derogatory remarks about this model not that that bothers me.
    This is my first rebuild of a Triumph have done a Bullet before so looking for someone I can throw questions at regarding the bike, only just joined the forum in fact this is my first of any forum don't quite know how they work just searched for the model bike and your question was there.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Regards Danny

3. Racer99

Racer99 New Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Jacksonville Florida
    Hey just saw your reply. I'd be happy to help if I can. my 1971 has been in the family for over 40 years and has been a great ride!

4. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Racer99

Racer99 New Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Jacksonville Florida
    no sorry that is the Quafe I mentioned above. from the same article.

" Late in 1971, an optional 5-speed Quaife gearbox became available, originally an aftermarket item adopted by the factory race team. It would be next year before they would designate these 5-speed bikes differently, with a "V" suffix (ie: T120V). Gearing was lowered with a 47-tooth rear sprocket, in the interest of acceleration."

Check the T120RV in this page,
    http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/triu/triumph_bonneville_650_t120v 73.htm

• T120RV - The 5-speed is generally considered to have been available—and was advertised as such—starting in 1972 with the T120V. However, a small pre-production run of 5-speeds were made in June 1971 only, and sold as '71 models. They were externally identical to their '71 T120R 4-speed counterparts, and did not carry any "V" decals such as the 1972 5-speeds displayed on their side panels. They were factory (not dealer) modified T120R models, so their engines/frames/and titles are designated T120RV,with the V being stamped separately when the transmissions were installed. These early factory Triumph 5-speeds are not to be confused with the Quaife 5-speeds that were listed as stocked for sale by Triumph dealers in 1970 to qualify for AMA purposes (the parts "had to be available from Triumph"). The first and final T120RV ratios in 1971 were the same as the 4-speed model, making it a matter of closer ratios, unlike later 5-speeds. These 5-Speeds were not advertised, were not available as an option, and could not be ordered—as the few manufactured were simply distributed individually to selected Triumph dealers and sold by word of mouth.