1969 T100 Spacer Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Michael Jennings, Oct 24, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Michael Jennings

Michael Jennings Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2018
    Essex
    Hello Folks,

I've been away from Triumphs for a while but am currently restoring a 1969 T100 into a sort of cafe racer. The crankcases were obtained as a pair but I'm wondering about the spacer which fits between the crankcase and the timing side main bearing. It's down on the parts book as a large diameter ring which fits between the outer race of the bearing and the crankcase, presumably to set the clearance for the opposing roller bearing. When I've tried to buy one it seems to be a small bevelled edge washer which fits around the crankshaft stub and would be too small to fit as in the diagram. Does this part (70-9503) actually exist as the recess for the bearing seems to be the same depth as the bearing itself, which would then be flush with the crankcase inner face?

confused, MikeJ

2. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
  3. Michael Jennings

Oct 24, 2018
    Essex
    Hello Rocker, thanks for the tip! The part I'm after is No50 but having ordered one, it turned up as a smaller diameter part that wouldn't fit between the bearing and crankcase-it's a bit of a mystery as I've looked on ebay as well and the photo for that part number doesn't match the drawing on the parts book.

Cheers, MikeJ

4. almegro

almegro New Member

Nov 18, 2017
    hants
    #4 almegro, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    Hello,
    I don't recall ever fitting a spacer hear, through not familiar with the 69 model, sometimes even the official triumph books can be wrong. Can you assemble the crank without the bearing and then check if there is room for a distance ring

5. Michael Jennings

Oct 24, 2018
    Essex
    Thanks almegro, I think it was only fitted for the 1969 bikes as the later parts books don't list it, so maybe they changed the casting. I'll check the assembled crank when I've got a few more bits to see,

Cheers, MikeJ

6. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Have you called dragonfly they should know

7. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    #7 darkman, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    The part you are after is 70-9503 abutment ring :), also in 69 you had both timed and chaincase breathing models, does yours have the large breather at the rear of inner case or a pipe underneath ??

Amendment, no washer in case as 69 cases are thicker.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Michael Jennings

Oct 24, 2018
    Essex
    Hello Darkman,

The cases don't have a breather from the rear of the primary drive inner case so I'm guessing it has the pipe underneath. There is a pipe with a rubber grommet just behind the cylinders and extending into the primary drive chest. So there isn't an abutment ring on the '69 models? - that's a relief as they seemed a bit difficult to find!

Cheers, MikeJ

9. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    70-9503 goes on the outside of case :) the hole just behind the barrels in the middle is the TDC hole, there is a special tool and you use it to get TDC or 38 deg BTC, there is a bung that screws in 21-1872.

10. Michael Jennings

Oct 24, 2018
    Essex

11. Michael Jennings

Oct 24, 2018
    Essex
    Hello, according to the parts book on Draganfly it certainly looks as though the part no 50 (listed as 70-9503) fits inside the timing side crankcase behind the bearing, so it's still a bit of a mystery-maybe a glitch in the parts book drawing? thanks for the info. about the timing tool bore though,

Cheers, MikeJ

12. Michael Jennings

Oct 24, 2018
    Essex
    Hello, according to the parts book on Draganfly it certainly looks as though the part no 50 (listed as 70-9503) fits inside the timing side crankcase behind the bearing, so it's still a bit of a mystery-maybe a glitch in the parts book drawing? thanks for the info. about the timing tool bore though,

Cheers, MikeJ

13. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    I am pretty sure its a chamfered washer that goes on the outside of the case as early and late 69's had the thicker casing.

14. Michael Jennings

Oct 24, 2018
    Essex
    Hello, maybe Triumph tried to save money on the parts diagram books and used an older drawing with a wrong sized washer shown or maybe it was just an old fashioned mental glitch somewhere,

Cheers, MikeJ

15. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Not sure, 70/71 has 9503 on the outside of case like the 71 engine i built earlier in the year for Su so i know that's correct, pre 69 they had a bush not a bearing and 69 was the thicker case with the first bearing so i assume it's the same as 70 on as the number is the same for spacer in the 69 book.

16. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Don't remember seeing any spacer washers on inside of the case on the twins, as there shouldn't be and side play to set due to the crank pinion nut clamping the crank gear together, it may well be a shim that fits between the timing side bearing inner and the crank pinion to set the spacing.