1969 T100 Layshaft Foibles

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Michael Jennings, Jan 5, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Michael Jennings

Michael Jennings Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2018
    Essex
    Hello,

the 1969 T100 cafe racer build up is going on but I've hit a snag with the gearbox. The layshaft I have looks right but the left hand bearing section is slightly on the big side for the roller bearing and the overall length is about 3mm shorter than specified in the manual. The manual says the mainshaft length changed but only quotes the one length for the layshaft. Did the layshaft length change for the T100? The quoted length is 136.5mm and the one I have is 133.4mm. The R/H end fits o.k. in the roller bearing in the kickstart shaft. The l/h end should be 17.38-17.399mm diameter but measures as 17.468.

Cheers, MikeJ

2. almegro

almegro New Member

Nov 18, 2017
    hants
    Hello,
    I have come across this problem before but on the kickstart side.I'm sure the problem is caused because the T100/T90 has needle bearings and the 3TA/5TA has bronze bushes so the shafts are different diameters, you could well have a mix of different parts. Hope this is of some help.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Not sure but can the bronze bush from early box be fitted ??

4. Michael Jennings

Oct 24, 2018
    Essex
    Hello and thanks for the replies,

I've been checking and the T100 went to a roller bearing on the left side of the gearbox in '61 and on the k/start side in '64. It fits o.k. on the kickstart side but it's 2.5 thou over on the left side, which (I think) should already be a roller bearing, so it's a bit strange. Apparently, the touring models used bushes for longer, so maybe it's a touring model. I'm still not sure why the shaft would be 3mm shorter, though!

Cheers, MikeJ

5. Michael Jennings

Oct 24, 2018
    Essex
    Hello again, it seems that the stub on the L/H side was bruised at the end and it fitted fine when the last 2mm were attacked with a bit of emery. Still doesn't explain the difference in length but it fits into the gearbox o.k.now,

Cheers, MikeJ

• Like Like x 3