1969 T100 Automatic Chain Oiler

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Shabuti, Apr 8, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Shabuti

Shabuti Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2022
    USA
    So I have heard that these have an automatic chain oiler system. How does that work exactly? And will it cause an oil drip no matter what I do? I have a few oil leaks right now, changed the oil didnt replace washers so will have to do that next time as Im pretty sure its leaking from those but also appears to be leaking from up where the chain is somewhere in there and was wondering if thats the oiling system for the chain?

20230408_094836.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    There is a chain oiler that is fed from the top of the oil tank, the small one from the filler neck that faces to the rear. You can make sure its fully off by tightening the metering screw inside the oil filler cap fully. As there is a clean bit showing on the inner primary i would say it's also leaking from the trapdoor mainshaft seal behind the clutch.

• Useful Useful x 2
  3. Shabuti

Dec 27, 2022
    USA
    Is this where you are talking about? Looks like maybe someone has already removed the hose for it? So maybe all that oil under my bike is from numerous other oil leaks that I need to find?

One of these days I guess I need to do a full tear down and new gaskets for all the lower parts. Did the whole top end, but rocker gaskets still leaking and Iv been told by others that theres really nothing I can do to stop that.

20230410_122934.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    No pipe fitted and screw in tight, then yes someone has disconnected the chain oiler in the past then. They do a wire reinforced gasket for the rocker box covers that don't leak but make sure the gasket face is flat and if not use a flat plate and a sheet of wet n dry to sort it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Shabuti

Dec 27, 2022
    USA
    Thank you for the info. So sadly I guess all that oil under there are from leaks, I was hoping maybe some of it was the chain oiler Iv heard about haha.

Ill have to maybe give it a nice wash under there after I put new washers in the drain plugs and try to watch and see where all its coming from. Iv gone through 2 tanks of gas since my last oil change, and the oil level hasnt appeared to really move at all. And thats about 3 months or so. So whatever it is leaking, cant be as much as it looks.

But, when I went to readjust the timing the other day, the oil inside the primary appears milky. Water getting into it?

• Like Like x 1
  6. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Have you changed the oil in the primary case, if not drain and refill with 130 ml of engine oil.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Shabuti

Dec 27, 2022
    USA
    Well, when I did the last oil change I always use an electric pump to pump it out from the tank, and then once thats empty as much as it can be I then took off all the drain bolts I could find. I think 3 total. And if I remember correctly, I also used the pump to drain the primary before removing the plug for it. The primary is the left side correct? I did not put oil back in it, and it was milky before. I figured oil got pumped into somewhere, didnt know it needed its own fill.

I also drained and refilled the gearbox with 90 weight gear oil. It too was milky and water when it came out, although there was hardly any in the gearbox so good thing I did that. Few drops really. Havent looked at the gearbox oil since I filled it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Yes primary on the left, its normal for oil to condensate in these bikes and that's why Triumph recommend changing oils at 1500 miles or yearly. If you haven't removed the oil tank and cleaned the sludge out of the bottom of it i would recommend that as well and also clean the filter in the feed line that is in the tank.