1968 Tr25w

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by norris, Jun 26, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. norris

norris New Member

Jun 14, 2018
    bournemouth
    i have a 1968 tr25w how do i adjust the tickover?

2. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

@darkman

He's your man, he'll be along soon.

• Like Like x 1
  3. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Hi Norris, does it have the standard Amal carb if so its the screw on the right that is to the rear on the right hand side, the one to the front next to it is the idle mixture screw :)

• Like Like x 3
  4. norris

norris New Member

Jun 14, 2018
    bournemouth
    thanks for repy,it only has one adjusting screw which i assume is the mixture,i am guessing i would have to adjust the cable.

5. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Is the carb an Amal, both monoblock and concentric have 2 screws, one for mixture and one for throttle slide.

6. norris

norris New Member

Jun 14, 2018
    bournemouth
    had a closer look and found the other screw,many thanks for all replies.

• Like Like x 1
  7. norris

norris New Member

Jun 14, 2018
    bournemouth
    no comment.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. norris

norris New Member

Jun 14, 2018
    bournemouth
    i have just been cleaning bike and noticed that the engine no is NC6399B25 does this mean somebody has fitted a BSA engine and i have been duped?

• Like Like x 1
  9. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    NC denotes Oct 69 engine and B25 is BSA.

10. norris

norris New Member

Jun 14, 2018
    bournemouth
    thanks for that looks like i have been sold a pup.

11. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    No you haven't. It was essentially a BSA engine in a Triumph frame from its birth. The BSA C15 (250cc) became the B25 which ended up in both BSA and Triumph bikes. By 1968 BSA and Triumph were both part of the same company and many parts were used across both ranges e.g. brakes and (later on) frames. Badge engineering it was called - see AJS and Matchless, for example.

12. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Although BSA built all the engines for both BSA and Triumph a 68 TR25W had TR25W stamped on the crankcase and then the numbers :)

13. norris

norris New Member

Jun 14, 2018
    bournemouth
    i appreciate all that which i knew but to a prospective buyer they might be put off by the fact the frame and engine dont match,unfortunately i bought this without asking this crucial question.

14. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

If you bought it to make money on it :confused: then oops but you dropped a bollock:(
    If you bought it to enjoy it for what it is :) then...hey....enjoy it :p

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    In my defence, yer honour, I was working from memory and strange logic (as mine always is!). I did try a quick bit of research into the subject but could not find any hard and fast facts (tried about six different sites courtesy of that nice Mr.Google).:blush:
    Anyroadup, I've learnt summat, so that's a good thing.:)

Whilst on the subject of TriBSAs, as we surely are, here's one that I genuinely can't remember ..... the Bantam Cub. Was it badged as a Triumph or a BSA? I'll probably ask Mr.Googly later on, but I'm betting on BSA as it would be BSA cycle parts stuffed full of Tiger Cub engine, and a Triumph badge would look strange on a Bantam tank. See ..... I said my logic was strange!!:confused:

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Cheers for that:), even though my logic was (again) sadly flawed.:(

The link you kindly provided was very interesting and I will no doubt spend a fair bit of time lurking therein.:cool:

That red and chrome version is a lovely little thing!:yum I could almost want one!!:eek: AND the Triumph tank badge looks okay on the Bantam tank.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. norris

norris New Member

Jun 14, 2018
    bournemouth
    this is a shot in the dark but what i thought was a good bike turned into a disaster apart from the fact it has had another motor fitted there are some oil leaks from the chaincase and gearbox,as i am getting on a bit does anybody know of anybody in the bournemouth area who would tackle a job like this?

18. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Hi Norris, if you can ride it round to my place i would have a look at it for you. I have sent you my number in your messages.

• Like Like x 3