1968 T120r Engine Number Question?

Discussion in 'Vintage Classics' started by lickity-split, Dec 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. lickity-split

lickity-split New Member

Dec 11, 2019
    USADetroit, Michigan
    There seems to be an extra 'T' in this engine number. When I wiped it off, it came out a little cleaner than the other letters, but appears to be from the same stamp.

I haven't seen this before and wonder if there is there any significance to the extra 'T' ?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Huge thanks for any thoughts!

Skip

• Like Like x 1
  2. EJT

EJT New Member

Nov 23, 2019
    Michigan US

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. EJT

EJT New Member

Nov 23, 2019
    Michigan US
    There should only be 5 digits in the number. I think the Triumph embossing on the stamp pad started in 1969. My guess is the cases got replaced and someone added the extra T at the beginning and 8 at the end. Maybe to differentiate between the original # and the replacement. Is there a frame number connected with this engine?

• Like Like x 1
  4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    ETJ
    Your engine may be a special. DarkMan is the man to answer this one.
    Regards & Happy Christmas.
    Joe.

5. lickity-split

lickity-split New Member

Dec 11, 2019
    USADetroit, Michigan
    Unfortunately, I don't have the frame to crosscheck the number with. MY plan is to find an old frame like a Rickman or Triumph, and put a street bike together with this engine.

6. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
  7. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Numbers mean nothing to me sorry, T120 should be a block stamp and it's clear they have been individually stamped but the font is correct. TT was only used from 66 to 67 for the T120 TT competition bikes like i'm building at the moment and before 66 all competition bikes had a C after model stamp. Best bet is a dealer has done it for what reason i have no idea, as EJT said embossing on plinth from 69 so it could be any unit engine from 69 on.

• Like Like x 1
  8. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    DarkMan
    I would say it's got a competition engine. Looking at the TT stamp I would clearly say the same stamp was used to emboss those numbers.
    Happy Christmas.
    Joe.

9. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Factory TT's had a larger font for the T or C like in the pic of my 66 T120 TT Joe and it came after the T120 or TR6 IMG_1712_LI (2).jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    DarkMan.
    I stand corrected and I for one would never dispute your vast knowledge.

Regards & Happy Christmas.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  11. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Slow down Joe as it could be a later Triumph number i know nothing about lol.

12. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Have a look at www.tricor-andy.com and click on the information/dating info section. Having looked at it it may not help too much BUT your photograph sent to the contact section or the e-mail address (probably the same) may get a suitable response, although Xmas/New Year may delay that!:party::party::zzz:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. darkman

Oct 26, 2015

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. lickity-split

lickity-split New Member

Dec 11, 2019
    USADetroit, Michigan
    It sounds like Darkman may have come up with the answer. Although the number falls within the 1968 date range (DU66 - DU90), it must have been a dealer who stamped later new replacement cases. Obviously a forger sophisticated enough to have factory font stamps would not have added the extra digits. Why the extra T and 8 is anybody's guess.

If I ever fond out anything more, I'll post it for what ever esoteric interest there may be.

Thanks for your help!

• Like Like x 4