1968 650 Motor No Spark

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Timebombprod, Apr 3, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Timebombprod

Timebombprod New Member

Apr 3, 2023
    Florida
    Hello everyone, I'm helping a buddy get his old triumph bobber getting up and running as I got a KZ bobber that's very similar and will be up this week, wanted us to be able to ride this upcoming weekend on our hardtail bobbers and have a bit of fun.

So first, the bike isn't infront of me but I should be there tomorrow to help put again, but I only know so much.

Just to go through a bit of what I found.

-both coils get battery voltage

-the key switch works fine

-the coils have 6ohm on primary and 11k and 15k on secondary( new set incase these won't work)

-The condenser tests fine

-when closing and opening the contacts, the resistance goes from no resistance to an open circuit and back to no resistance when contacts close when being tested from the contacts to the wire on coil.

-When the key is shut off, there is a spark

-when checking voltage at the coils and spinning motor to open and close contacts, they never lose voltage when the contacts is open, it stays the same the whole time.

So as far as I'm concerned, it has to either be a case of wiring being setup wrong, or the contacts are the issue.

From what I remember, the positive wiring starts at battery and goes to key switch, and then key switch to coil with a jumper running from one coil to another.

The negative wiring goes from contacts, to the coils, and the condenser hooks up straight to the coils.

Just to ask and see if maybe it's something else, could a bad regulator/rectifier be the issue?

From my knowledge a battery operated ignition only has whatever style ignition (P&C, mechanical, electronic), possibly an ignitor, and the coilpacks, and the stator and regulator are purely the charging.