1965 Motorcycle Safety film.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by folkbloke, Nov 28, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    An astonishing lack of traffic and road markings :eek:

Also some quite poor riding, see how close he gets to the van before moving out to overtake and how he almost overshoots the right hand turn and has to swing back in again.

I also liked the positioning of the L plates. They must work well in the dark :wink:

1965 Motorycle Road Safety PIF - Look, Signal, Manoeuvre - YouTube

• Like Like x 9
  2. Englishman

Englishman Member

Nov 9, 2013
    Brilliant, thanks for posting that
    Al

• Like Like x 1
  3. PJT

PJT Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Leicestershire. UK.
    I know this thread was posted last year, but I've only just found it. I remember this film was used when I was taking my Army motorcycle course in October 1966. We watched similar films throughout the four week course. Some of them made more sense as we gained experience. I did my course in North Wales, there were twenty five trainees at the start of the course and only ten at the end. Three trainees died as a result of collisions with other vehicles. Others suffered fractures and some just couldn't pass the test. We rode an assortment of motorcycles rangeing from prewar BSA's and Triumph's up to the latest Triumph 500 Speed Twin and BSA B40 350. Great fun.

4. Recycled Rocker

Recycled Rocker Senior Member

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    What a great clip, I rode in 1964, might as well have been me on that little Tiger Cub, used Cub as apprentice to get to work in Leeds down Hunslet. Wish I could remember that reg of mine. Big end went cost £25, I was on £3 a week. Still remember the hand signals, have to on my old bikes, wonder if drivers know what I'm doing heh heh heh, probably too busy on social media... :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  5. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    It's very good and then again there are those Crazy Germans and I do believe that there is either a Triumph or Norton being used in this film as well :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  6. PJT

PJT Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Leicestershire. UK.
    Some real loons there Steve. Great film.

7. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent

• Like Like x 2
  8. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Gotta say, Tom hasn't aged very well, bearing in mind they were the same age as kids on their trikes.

9. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    The world I grew up in......complete with knitted balaclava......

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1