1963 Trophy Rebuild

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by RPutt, Apr 6, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. RPutt

RPutt New Member

Apr 6, 2020
    Germany
    Need some help here... I currently own a 1963 Triumph Trophy 650. Owned the bike for about 12 years now, and no unfortunately it's not all stock. The guy who owned it before me picked it out of someones back yard, spent two-years rebuilding it, and it became his daily rider for about 10 years. Once I inherited the bike had been sitting for about 3 years. After many, many attempts at getting it to run correctly I finally realized this bike was above my expertise. Now it's been about 8 years and I want to get the bike running, it's been too long and I am doing the bike a disservice. I'm serving overseas right now but intend to move back to the states (where the bike is) next summer, 2021. If everything works out I'll be moving to the Ohio area. This is where I need help... Does the Triumph community here know of anyone in the Dayton, Ohio, or within a few hours of Dayton, area that is known for working on old-school Triumph's? I want the bike to be done, and I want it to be done right. Anyone out there you guys and gals could lead me to?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

-Ryan

• Like Like x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    RPutt
    Can't help but welcome to the family. Just take it slow and steady and it will arise. Photograph everything as you work on it that way you have your own personal manual to put it back. Do post a couple of pictures here and the inmates may give you tips on how it should be and pointers of what to do.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 3
  3. SprinterII

SprinterII Noble Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Scotland
    #3 SprinterII, Apr 6, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    Need pics, details, history, leave nothing out .Whats the problem/s?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi Rayn good luck with your search for some help....

• Like Like x 1
  5. RPutt

RPutt New Member

Apr 6, 2020
    Germany
    When I got the bike it had not run for 3 years. Upon investigation I realized the reason he let it sit was due to a blown head gasket. I replaced the gasket to include an entire top end rebuild, new pistons, honed out the barrel, cleaned everything up. Then I had a problem with oil getting to the top end. Got that fixed by rebuilding the oil pump. Then the timing was off with the old school points. I attempted to replace the points with an electronic ignition and that is where I ran into real trouble. I could never get the timing aligned correctly. After months of realigning, researching, and realigning, the timing would never get in check. The bike hasn't ran since this swap out.

IMG_8177.PNG

IMG_8176-2.PNG

• Like Like x 3
  6. SprinterII

SprinterII Noble Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Scotland
    #6 SprinterII, Apr 6, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    I am swapping to dynatek electronic ignition at the present, on a Suzuki GS750 78.
    I swapped it out last year, only the bike hasn't been ridden since ( other issues) .The bike starts and runs, although I do think its a little retarded, on 2 and 3, slightly hotter on them.
    I have also been told that it may be advantageous to run them a little advanced when changing over systems.
    Did you check the coils, and leads, new plugs?
    I timed mine with a bulb, which seemed to work fine.
    I am waiting for a strobe gun to arrive,so I can check the advance,t higher revs.
    I wanted to make sure any issues could be found so as not to confuse Carbs with ignition.
    My Gunson colortune arrived this week too, and I've been checking the jets for my upgrading the exhaust

When you say "attempted", how far did you get?

• Like Like x 1