1962 5ta

Discussion in 'Vintage Classics' started by Rocky2010, Sep 27, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rocky2010

Rocky2010 New Member

Sep 27, 2013
    Have an issue with my 5TA Speed Twin, had to take off the gear shift cover to replace the oil lines as they were getting a bit old.
    When I re-installed the gearshif cover after replacing it with a new gasket, then tried to kick over the motor the kickstarter worked fine for the first couple of kicks.
    But now the kickstarter will not return back to its original postition.
    Pulled the cover off again thinking the kickstarter return spring may have broken but it is ok.
    Replaced the cover again after resetting the spring and the spring holder with the rectangular hole in the centre and set the spring in its correct position.

Still the kickstarter will not return to original position after kicking over the motor.

Any suggestions as it seems like an easy task according to the manual?

2. chrispy

chrispy Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    Salisbury,wiltshire
    Have you checked the bush in the cover ,the spring could be not tight enough try and wind the spring once more tighter its a bit fiddley but can be done

3. Rocky2010

Rocky2010 New Member

Sep 27, 2013
    Thanks for the reply, in the manual it states with text also a sketch/photo that the plate should be at 5'oclock to the rear spring anchor post on the crankcase which I had done and the spring would not return. There is no bush in the outer cover where the kickstarter shaft goes through the outer cover.

Seem to have it sorted now, I have rotated the spring end plate to be in line with the spring anchor point on the crankcase which seems to be working now fine now.
    Older manuals aren't as good as the present day manuals in my own opinion.

Took it for a ride last night and she purrs like a kitten luv the sound of those old triumph motorcycles, already now to get the club rego and go on club runs :upyeah:

Thanks for you time guys

4. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Nice to hear you sorted it