1950 Triumph speed twin frame number

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by smifffy, Sep 12, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. smifffy

smifffy New Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Bristol
    Hi can anyone help?

I'm trying to re-register my dads 1950 Triumph 350cc speed twin with the DVLA but am struggling to convince them of the bikes authenticity. I have found the engine number and that ties in nicely with the details on the log book. My main problem is finding the frame number. From all my searching on the internet I was expecting to find it stamped into the left-hand side of the headstock but can see no sign. I have tried removing some of the paint with emery paper hoping to uncover it but to no avail. Can anyone tell me whether the number could possibly be stamped elsewhere on the frame on this age of bike and if so where to look.. thanks in advance..

2. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    #2 Iceman, Jan 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    Hi Smiffy, you say your Father's machine is a 1950 350 Speed Twin, this poses a small dilemma, the Speed Twin is 500cc not 350, from 1950 to 1962 the frame and engine umbers matched, engine numbers were prefixed with the model (eg 3T-1001N), all Pre Unit 500 and 650 Twins from 1950 started from number 1001N to 16085N - November 1949 to October 1950 and 1951 are 101NA to 15808NA - November 1950 to October 1951. Looking at your engine number should also correspond to the frame number. The 350 is the 3T series, the first year for the 3T was 1946 that being the 3T in 1947 out came the 3T Deluxe, then the Twenty One, 3TA Twenty One, sprung hub, bathtub etc etc. It may well be that either the frame or engine have been changed at some point in its life, if you take and upload a picture of the engine number, and a separate one of the frame, i.e. complete bike I may be able to shed a little more light on things. In theory from what you say you should have a 1950 3T 350 ohv. Do you have the original buff log book with the frame and engine numbers on, also when people changed either the frame or engine back in the day they often did not notify a change. The frame number should be stamped on the headstock (near side) in front of the petrol tank. If you are restoring the bike then I guess you will be stripping the frame to bare metal before repainting, this may well show the frame numbers, although I strongly suspect not, your Father may have even bought the machine as it is now, not realising it had a change of engine or frame.

• Like Like x 3