190 55 17, Is A 50 Ok

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by topbanana0, Nov 29, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    if my tyre should be 19 55 17, the 55 is the height/pitch of the tyre?
    So a 50 should be ok, would you think?

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    I'm pretty sure that the 55/50 part of the sizing is the aspect ratio of tyre wall to tread width as a percentage, so a 50 aspect tyre will, effectively, alter the rolling radius of the wheel and tyre. It may, therefore, also alter, slightly, the speedometer/odometer accuracy.

The possible effect of the change on the bike's handling is hard to predict but, generally, a production road motorcycle is designed with and for specific tyre sizes and it's rarely ever going to be a good thing to deviate from the manufacturer's original spec.

My 2 penn'orth.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Also what's sometimes overlooked is insurance companies know the types and sizes of tyres that are supposed to be used and for them it will be an easy blame...... You crashed out because of the rubber.

Not worth the risk matey.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Not a good idea on a Speed Triple as it will mean you end up overworking the outer edge of the rear tyre :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Not sure about that but there’s more to it than just size, the profile of the tyre will be different. The “height “ difference is nearly 10mm (50%of 190 is 95 and 55%of 190 is 104.5) so your 50 aspect tyre will lower the rear and alter the steering geometry. Better off with the correct size. Have you found a 50 aspect that’s really cheap or something?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    190mm Width
    55% aspect ratio i.e. 104.5mm High
    17” rim size (423mm)

A 50% aspect tyre is 95mm high - an overall difference of 2x radii or 19mm in lost diameter which my fag packet calculation makes about a 3% difference in lost rolling circumference (gearing) than it does in ride height (1x 9.5mm radius) and slightly lengthened trail (slower steering) at the front.

More of a ‘get you home/false economy’ than sensible switch......in my opinion. If you imagine a cross section of the tyres you are going for a flatter overall profile.....more dish, less cup!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:) Couldn’t have put it better myself :)

:imp: Well I might of but couldn’t be arsed:p

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Yeah, well we’ve both got a reputation to lose!

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    Thats it, maybe not worth messing with.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    TopBanana0
    I support the insurance answer. I had a good friend had his Daytona wrecked by a pillock doing a stopie in front of him. The rear wheel came down on the front of his bike and did some damage. Because he had different tyres on there his insurer walked away. This is one time I would give Jack Lilly a lot of praise as they sourced parts and bits to put his bike back on the road for practically nothing.
    Ride Free
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Totally agree Joe.

topbanana0 Try looking for "tyre selector - triumph motorcycles" it tells you all you need to know on the matter, From manufactures to sizes that should be used.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Fit whatever the manufacturer recommends mate, unless it's something you want to play with on track.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    My question is,what’s the reason you’re looking to change the profile of the tyre?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
  16. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #15 Eldon, Dec 12, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    Not sure changing the tyre sizes unless you really do know what your doing is a good idea!

From a good source of mine I was told that this incident (no 34) was caused, or contributed to, by him fitting a 190 tyre over a 180 when he had been advised not to!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    It tells you the shock breaks in the video

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    I did say contributes, I'd believe my source over a public video.
    What caused the shock to break if indeed that was the real cause?

I have another friend who's shock did break whilst racing and he ended up with a snapped tib and fib but this was due to running the rear too high.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Ok, I was only repeating what the video said

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Yes fair enough Glyn :heart:

The point I was making is a bit like a boy racer in his vauxhall Corsa or whatever. 3" bore exhaust sounds loads faster but in reality is it? or has he/she just wasted all the manufacturers development time?

Regarding this thread tyre question riding bikes well is often a matter of confidence so try it if you think it will suit, just be careful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    I don’t need to try them anymore, that’s why i asked the question why do you want to change the profile.
    But what I will say we did used to run wider race tyres at at tracks with high grip levels as they dissipate heat better but significantly slow the steering, so we used to experiment with different profile shapes to try and get the grip with a similar turn in.
    But that’s just my opinion, take from it what you will.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1