Thruxton 180/60-17 Tire For Thruxton 1200r

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Xpercad, Feb 13, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Xpercad

Xpercad New Member

Dec 23, 2018
    Mexico
    #1 Xpercad, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    The spec rear tyre fot the Thruxton 1200R is 160/60-17 but I am currently no able to find it in Pirelli Diablo Rosso III. Has anybody tried the 180/60-17? Will it fit correctly?

Many Thanks!

2. Xpercad

Xpercad New Member

Dec 23, 2018
    Mexico
    Thank you so much for your reply, You are right, I just checked the clearance with the chain and the 180 will not fit. I am really not looking for more milage but rather the same or better feel compared with the OEM Diablo Rosso Corsa

3. Xpercad

Xpercad New Member

Dec 23, 2018
    Mexico
    Thanks for the warm welcome Dozers Dad!

4. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    @Ron Ashurst nearly graduated, not on my watch DD, not on my watch mate :mad:.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Xpercad

Xpercad New Member

Dec 23, 2018
    Mexico
    Sorry for that :weary_face:. I just corrected my first post but I don´t know how to edit the thread name ...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Hi and welcome to the forum mate, for what it's worth I use Pirelli Super Corsa's 160/60-17 on my Bandit 600 race bike as the rules don't allow me to fit 180's, so if they make them in that size for SC's then I would thing that Rosso III should be as well.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Xpercad

Xpercad New Member

Dec 23, 2018
    Mexico
    Thanks!
    Pirelli has 160 Rosso III but I can´t find them in Mexico

8. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Ronald of the Rocket, in 'proper' Queens English wot we speak, they are tyres, wittering on about tires (oh we're tired of hearing it) when you are aware of the correct spelling is what keeps you from graduating the classes that DD and the rest of us work so hard on.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Gents. Cut my buddy Ronnie some slack ..... uhmmmm ...... or perhaps I should say, make some allowances for our colonial cousin Ron.

The use of the word "tire" is thought to have derived, in English, from the circular steel band that "tied" wooden spoked wheels together. At some point in the dim and distant, us Anglo's decided we'd change, so we went with the spelling "tyre" for reasons uncertain. Our transatlantic mates couldn't keep up - not unusual, I'd posit - so they just kept the original.

So, in a way, he's kind of right, just out of date.

And he has rescued and owns a nice Mark One SPEEDY - so be a bit nice to him. Well, occasionally, at least?

:D

• Like Like x 2
  10. airbornewoolfie

airbornewoolfie New Member

Dec 2, 2017
    N/W Norfolk
    I've got Mich Road 5's (Standard size) on my TTR and they do everything and anything I want from a road tyre! very confidence-inspiring in the wet and cold (unlike the OE Corsa's!) and very good milage, (I've had Mich Pilot road 3's and, later, 4's fitted to my '07 Daytona 675 since the PR 3's first came out and I have never been let down by them!).

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Spacefrog

Spacefrog Active Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Somerset UK
    i just fitted a rear Bridgestone BT023,160/60-17, i use them on my yamaha FZ6 so i trust them, good tyres and will last alot longer than the Pirelli Diablo Rosso tyres, as they are track tyres and softer on the sides, so unless you are doing road racing or indeed track racing no point in a track tyre in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Greywolf55

Greywolf55 Noble Member

Oct 4, 2019
    Duluth ,Ga
  13. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    In a spirit of pure, unalloyed pedantry it IS worth pointing out that the steel band on a waggon wheel is a tyre/tire. You have been discussing pneumatic tyres - safely short handed to tyre because of a distinct lack of carts on our roads.
    Arguing over spelling is mildly ironic given that both forms were in use in 15/16C English. I would rather it was better understood that ‘yeee oldey shoppey’ is codswallop. Out forebears pronounced Ye Olde Shoppe ‘the old shop’ and Y was used in printed script to signify ‘th’ much as modern German uses a capital B for double s. So next time some TV presenter starts to say ‘ye oldey.....’ shout at your telly and put them straight!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Retired Phil

Retired Phil Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    Last week i saw a TTR with a 180 tire on the back. It was literally almost touching the drive chain. Dont know what the guy was thinking. When i replaced The Pirelli Corsas, which were gone at 4500 miles, i mounted Pirelli Angles in the OEM size, front and back. 5k miles now and still not showing much wear. The handlings is as good as the Corsas.

• Like Like x 1