1700 Tbird Won't Start In Hot Sun??

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by AppalachianCommander, Apr 7, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. AppalachianCommander

Apr 6, 2023
    Wow.....Just found this forum today and joined. Great meeting everyone and Finally I am not alone with my beast of a Commander in Atlanta, Georgia. 2015 T'Bird Commander running 100% and no problems with 20,000 miles. Since I bought it used....I have start up problems only in Summer time. Crazy....but after turning engine off on a Bright and SUNNY/ Hot day, it struggles to pump fuel into engine. Mechanics have checked absolutely everything on bike and cannot figure out the problem. Fuel expansion...nope; fuel pump fine; no warning lights. The only way to start is crank throttle 1/2" turn and rev engine for 3 minutes.

My guess is ECU needs adjustment or replace. Anyone have similar problem or suggestion is sure appreciated. Thanks for chiming in if you have thoughts!

2. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Howdy AC :cool: I'm afraid I'm not mechanically minded enough to answer this, if you get no joy in this section then maybe try in the Technical Section ;) I only say this as there is not too much traffic in this section as generally they just run on rails. Good luck :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. MightyBoosh

MightyBoosh Member

Mar 29, 2023
    Uk
    Clearly it cranks ok. Common problem is the crank position sensor, which tends to give hot starting problems. Don't know your particular bike, but on some twins going to first choke position helps, even with a hot engine.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Unfortunately the newer Thunderbirds (Commander, LT, Storm etc) doesn't have a choke :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mongoose

Mongoose Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2023
    Georgia
    Greetings from Gainesville Georgia! Come on up.The Mad Mongoose...OUT!!

6. AppalachianCommander

Apr 6, 2023
    Thanks guys! I'll get by with how it runs today and if I sell it, I'll just have to explain it is the Crank position sensor....sounds technical enough to me. What we really need is for Triumph to bring Thunderbird back into production.

• Agree Agree x 1