1600 Fuel Gauge Duff

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by Foggy69, May 30, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Foggy69

Foggy69 Member

Jul 8, 2020
    Berkshire
    #1 Foggy69, May 30, 2021
    Last edited: May 30, 2021
    Well that was fun!
    Just purchased from a dealer and was surprised to see that, unlike the norm, there was a nearly full tank. (according to the gauge!)
    Went for a short initial drive and thought economy was good as the gauge seemed to alter little.
    Decided yesterday on a longer trip and headed out.
    By now my suspicions should have been raised as the gauge still showed a substantial amount of fuel.
    Cruising along the A34 the bike looses power and stops......on a busy dual carriageway!!!!!
    My immediate suspicions were fuel but the gauge still showed over half full!!
    Anyway, long and short was that I spent a happy hour and a bit at the side of the bust A34 waiting for my wife to bring out some fuel.

So!!
    Gauge reads plenty of fuel and no low fuel warning light. Got to be the sender, yes?
    Or could it be something more electronically complicated?

Oh, and don't worry, the dealer will be getting an ear bending on Tuesday!!

Cheers folks.

PS. Sorry, here's a pic of the newbie for the forum.

IMG-20210527-WA0002.jpg

Replaces my 05 America which gave me years of service and never let me down!

• Like Like x 3
  2. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Hi Foggy, can't help too much I'm afraid but they are renowned for being a bit temperamental. Hopefully the dealer will be able to sort it under their warranty but not a great start for you. Sounds like it was maybe left stored for some time with a fairly full tank, with a bit of luck it will sort itself but in the meantime just go back to old school and reset the trip after each refuel ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    @Foggy69 any joy with the dealer mate?

• Agree Agree x 1