12v Coil Feed

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Evoboy, Jan 30, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Evoboy

Evoboy Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2020
    Uk
    Hi all, i just got a 2017 street 765, im wainting to transfer my QS (translogic is4)
    I need to know what wire leading to the coil pack is the 12v feed and which is the signal wire (0v,)
    ANY HELP APPRECIATED!

thank you!

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    You seem to be labouring under a misapprehension about how coils work..... coilpacks too.

When a current is passed through the coil it generates a magnetic field. When the power is cut that magnetic field collapses and induces a high voltage current. That current is fed to the plug by the High Tension lead generating a spark at the gap between plug core and electrode.

So, ignition on you have a steady battery voltage feed to the +ve side of the coil, round the coil and to earth via the -ve terminal. It is the ECU that chops the power triggered by the crank position sensor. The cut in power is the trigger on the +ve side.

I assume that is what you seek for your quickshifter?

3. Evoboy

Evoboy Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2020
    Uk
    Translogic has given me the colours needed to go to the coil stick, they told me one wire will read 12v and the other 0v with ignition on, im to intercept the 0v wire for my qs

4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
  5. Evoboy

Evoboy Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2020
    Uk
    Yes i have the manual, maybe u can mske sense of it, been told thd green wire with pink stripe is the 12v feed,

Screenshot_20200130-221354_OneDrive.jpg

Screenshot_20200130-221408_OneDrive.jpg

6. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Now I see!

Ok conceptually what you are trying to do is simple enough. You need to splice into the ignition circuit without accidentally reversing or crossing polarity.

You need either

A wiring diagram for the bike
    A multimeter
    Or a 12v battery/wiring.

You may even find polarity markings on the coil stick. Whatever, to be completely sure you want to detach the feed TO the first coil FROM the ECU. IGNITION ON one wire will give you battery voltage when grounded to earth (engine/frame) the other will show nothing. It IS the earth return......but linking the two does not tell you the direction of flow.

So, the +ve lead gives you power......and now you know which tab is +ve on the coil stick

You need to ensure the red and grey wires are snapped into the +ve line on the coil stick leaving white as the negative return.

Finally, ensure you have not inadvertently twisted the connection to the bike harness and maintain +ve to +ve and -ve to -ve.

7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Having jumped right in with a cry for help you might now introduce yourself on the newbies forum.. We don’t bite.

• Agree Agree x 1