12k Service

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by chuk, Jan 4, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    just watched bikeworld on TV there was a section comparing the latest speed triple and street triple rs,the cost quoted for the 12k service was over a grand for the speed and over £900 for the street,this was through a triumph dealer so I've got just over 10k on mine its deffo not going to triumph for its 12k service that's for sure yes my bike is old 2011 and will be cheaper but stone the crows over 1k come on.

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    There will be a few folks on here that are around Glasgow that will give you a number for a friendly mech

3. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    good to know probably another yr before bike hits the 12k mark,I've not ling started a different job so for now shifts dictate less bike time.

4. youngy

youngy Active Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Peterborough
    how much?????? kin ell. I'll be getting my hands dirty then.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    My 16' Speed Triple is in for the service on Thursday at a Triumph dealer, said is would be £650 ish
    I will let you know how it goes

6. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    I'm only putting the costs (very excessive) on here that the triumph dealer in programme quoted,personally imho that's way over priced for the labour/parts involved put me right off upgrading to newer bike that's for sure.

7. Graham.db

Graham.db Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Wiltshire
    Yep triumph talking out their ass again, gone is the world where you would work on your own girl, or know some one, in the modern throw away world triumph believe some do not have the intelligence to work another plan out, triumph have lost me as a on going customer for their shark approach to ripping the customer off

8. youngy

youngy Active Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Peterborough
    I was quoted £650 to have the ABS only service done on my previous bike, CBR600RR, by the local Honda dealer. It is, indeed, an all day job as the ABS is very complicated and hidden under the fairing.

It's not just Triumph................

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    Think you got the wrong end of the stick.
    The quote (I believe) is for running costs for services up to 12k, not a 12k service.

• Like Like x 3
  10. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    that is a possibility as i was half asleep just prior to watching it but deleted it so no way of knowing.

11. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    just watched it again and i was wrong sort of the services costs were quoted up to 12k,so it seems that over average of 3 yrs service costs inc the 6k and 12k services (i assume) so i stand corrected DOH!

12. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    The 2005-10 Speed Triple's were good to work, did a lot myself. I haven't touched my 2016 one!
    There is a limited edition 2009 Speed Triple for sale on Autotrader for £6k, with only 1 mile...was part of a collection and not used...if someone is interested

13. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    A bit far from you but Clive Wood is THE MAN.
    Whoever does the job make sure they do suspension linkages and stub axle. They fail for a past time and expensive to replace. Clive sees so many that has failed he keeps a drop and drag link in to exchange.
    Later models have a different system but still fail on the drag links.
    There is a lot to do and will take the whole day to do correctly. If they don't they are missing things out.

14. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Picked up my Speed Triple this morning from is 12k service at Hughenden M40 and while it didn't need the coolant or brake fluid changed, it did need the pins on the rear caliper drilled out and new pads.
    Cost was £590 Inc vat
    Valve clearance was spot on, spark plugs were a nice tan.
    Apparently the new style makes it a right bugger to work on and the ECU is locked to TuneECU, if I was to attempt to connect it, the ECU would freeze put and have to go to Triumph to be unlocked

15. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Why I bought a 94R.......it's a keeper.
    Probably worth publicizing a more prominent warning for other '16> owners?

16. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    that's a bit wide having the Ecu locked but that's progress i suppose (not) won't affect my 2011 model so that's no bad thing.

17. youngy

youngy Active Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Peterborough
    I think it's quoted on the tuneecu website

18. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Heard they are a bunch of muppets there. Hope they did suspension linkage and hub.
    Obviously not got the right tools for the pins.
    B fluid so quick and cheap to do why not do it at 12k?

19. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I hear you, I get on well with Bruce in the shop, the mechanic seems a good bloke
    Must admit my doubts though, I checked the rear linkage and although it is cleaner, there is road grime on the spacer where the cloth cant reach, suggesting it was wiped in situ. I hope I am wrong and that it was cleaned before being reassembled but it does cast a doubt as to whether the suspension linkages were taken apart, cleaned and repacked with grease
    Wouldn't be too bad for me to be able to hoist the bike up on the Abba Skylift, take apart the suspension linkage and check its condition

I am surprised too that the brake fluid wasn't changed too, I cant do it as it has the ABS bollocks that means I cant bleed it myself, you need a machine to do that. but being 18 months old and mostly motorway mileage, I am not too concerned the BF is in a bad way.
    The coolant was done when the radiator was replaced in April after the postie van knocked into me from the side

Although they said, "drill out the pins", he used some tool that enable you to get in and unscrew it. Only charged me a few quid for the replacement pair.

I do like them at Hughenden M40, but I guess everyone has their off days now n again

20. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Android ECU Tune allows you to bleed the ABS brakes. I think.