Thruxton 1200r Bar End Finishers?

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Cafe Racer, Sep 5, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Cafe Racer

Cafe Racer Member

May 30, 2018
    UK
    I've purchased a pair of Halcyon 830 bar end mirrors (The old Stadium design) with T120 adaptors to fit my Thruxton R. The mirrors ooze quality and to my mind are a better match to the retro styling than the black and grey standard items.

Fitting them made me realise though that I also need to purchase some bar-end finishers because in removing the Thruxton mirrors - which clamped round the bar ends - I now have an untidy result per the photo below.

Can I assume that water cooled Bonnie finishers will fit my Thruxton bar-end inners?

Cheers!
    CR

(PS - those aren't scratches already on the brand new mirror; they are soft focus bubble wrap wisps!)

20180905_131721.jpg

2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Just use insulation tape :p

3. Cafe Racer

Cafe Racer Member

May 30, 2018
    UK
    Thanks, guys. I have tried insulating tape already and didn't like it, but brushed or chromed tubing is a good idea as I can fit a piece long enough to also cover the washer and inner section of the mirror bracket. :)

Cheers,
    CR

• Like Like x 1
  4. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    I don’t know the OD of your bars but if you know any pipe fitters you could use mapress carbon steel as a sleeve which has a decent finish ID 20mm and 25mm and it’s cheap about £4 a metre

• Like Like x 2
  5. Cafe Racer

Cafe Racer Member

May 30, 2018
    UK
    For anyone else finding this thread and contemplating the same change of mirrors:
    • The outside diameter of the Thruxton R bar end is 22.23mm (7/8").
    • The outside diameter of the T120 bracket is slightly less - so a short stub of pipe pressed on to the bar end will cover the bracket with a tiny air gap all round the latter.
    • The distance from the end of each hand grip to the elbow on the T120 bracket is just over 22mm - so a length of pipe 21mm long will leave a small gap to ensure smooth throttle operation. Doing the same thing on the other side will keep things symmetrical even though of course there doesn't need to be a gap to the rubber grip.

6. Cafe Racer

Cafe Racer Member

May 30, 2018
    UK
    Back in 1976 my parents bought a Schreiber wardrobe for my bedroom. It served me for 18 years until I sold my first house in 1994 when weakened from a fair few assemblies and dis-assemblies, I took it to the tip - but kept the chrome plated brass pipe that constituted a shoe heel rest. Roll on a further 24 years and three house moves later when I remembered that the pipe was with my "it might be useful one day" bits and pieces.

The result is as below. :)

Excuse the polishing cloth fluff on the throttle grip but I am chuffed with the result. It needed just a couple of turns of insulating tape to make the chromed pipe a very snug fit so we'll see how it lasts. As you can see, there's a small gap around the bracket, but hopefully that will not matter.

20180906_203604.jpg

• Like Like x 2