Thruxton 1200 or 1200R? Help me decide...

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by ffg, Jan 28, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ffg

ffg New Member

Oct 7, 2016
    UK
    The Tiger is sold, the cash is raised, and it's going to be one Thruxton or the other.

I've tested a Thruxton and am planning to test an R this week, will I notice a big difference? I expect the brakes to be a lot more immediate, but what about the ride? I've been told to expect a harder ride, which I don't specially want - I'm not going to be racing in any form, and I weigh in at 140lbs so don't really want a hard ride. How adjustable is the R ride? Can I get comfortable if I want it? Much difference in handling?

After that it's mostly about colours, looks and cost... or am I missing anything?

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    The R is just a piece of Art - with top quality components. If you enjoy the finer things in life honestly there is no question which one. If I have the money it would be immediately spent on an R.

3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Go with what a pirate would say [​IMG]"ARRRRRRRRR"

4. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    Always go in at the top(if you can afford it) :D;)

5. dickydido

dickydido Senior Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Wiltshire
    #5 dickydido, Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    Hi ffg,

.....buy what you like, not what everybody else would like to buy or, like you to buy.

Test ride the both of them, back to back if possible for the best comparison, then be very, very, very honest with yourself........

.....better colour choices with the Thruxton 12 mind.......what's that?......what have I got?...........Thruxton 12 in white of course!.........

Seriously, whatever you choose, enjoy your new bike and welcome aboard the Thruxton section of the Forum.

Cheers,

dickydido

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Although you probably won't notice a big difference in handling with the R unless you were pushing it.i think if you can afford it get the R. all the extra goodies you get is actually a bargain compared with the price of them all separately..and it just looks the biz:)

7. Vansflyer

Vansflyer Member

Jul 23, 2016
    In the Air
    The R on looks alone, never had a bike get so much attention. You can soften the suspension to get a better ride, add a few goodies and it's just gorgeous.

8. ffg

ffg New Member

Oct 7, 2016
    UK
    Hi Vansflyer
    I think we met on the T800 forum - I'm the Jodel owner at Croft Farm
    So is the rear Ohlin adjustable for preload only? Info on this forum suggests it's quite difficult to do at least the supplied C spanners

9. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    As was said above, you have to make your own decision at the end of the day.
    That said, if I was buying one I'd be torn between the R with the extra toys and flaunting the more modern slightly garish colours and the standard green one in a more classic understated colour.
    I suspect I'd go for the green.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Hmmm! See your point, but if your going for colour, which would be cheaper? Get a green one and buy the bits the R has or buy an R and get a respray?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Vansflyer

Vansflyer Member

Jul 23, 2016
    In the Air
    Hi again :)
    I have left the rear shocks as standard but you can fiddle with them and they are fully adjustable. Can't comment on how hard it is to adjust the rears as I haven't tried. However I have softened the front quite a bit and its work in progress stopped by the winter. I ride other bikes all year round but I don't have the time to clean the R properly following a winters ride! I am 125 kg in all my winter gear and the rear feels just fine, just need to dial the bounce out of the front. Currently planeless sold my RV :-(
    Page 102 shows the theory.
    Cheers

http://images.triumphmotorcycles.co...n_01.pdf?_ga=1.260170765.140505446.1468476328

12. Vansflyer

Vansflyer Member

Jul 23, 2016
    In the Air
    "Hmmm! See your point, but if your going for colour, which would be cheaper? Get a green one and buy the bits the R has or buy an R and get a respray?"

Don't take this the wrong way but is the colour an age thing?
    I think the green looks lovely but not for me as it looks a little too "old"...? The sliver is a lot more timeless IMHO... And for reference I am the "upwards side" of 50 :)

13. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    I'm biased because I went for (and have never regretted) the R.

The brakes are special. Like above, I'm pretty happy with the sus set up, though it's fully adjustable (good job because I haven't got the bottle to fettle it anyway) and I prefer the brushed (instead of polished) headers/pipes.

The icing on the cake is the top yoke. The cockpit is a very beautiful place to be.

14. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    You also have to add in the extra £1300 you pay for the R in the first place.

15. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Same here. North of 50 and approaching early retirement at 55 in November this year....

The Thruxton in the Triumphs 'Modern Classic' range, so I guess it's whether you want to lean towards modern or towards Classic.

One problem is Triumph only have demo's of the R model (a sales tactic to sell the more expensive R's I guess) so you can't ride a std one and see how good it is. They do the same with the Speed Triple, no S model demo's....

• Like Like x 1
  16. Vansflyer

Vansflyer Member

Jul 23, 2016
    In the Air
    "Modern Classic" for me then
    Lucky enough to have done a lot of miles on both the standard and the R. The little touches on the R do make it that bit special and the suspension does make it handle a bit crisper and I prefer that. The standard has standard forks that are a bit softer out of the crate and that gives a softer ride. The R for me was a Sunday "blast" machine that can show the young pups a well scrubbed rear tyre not a mileage machine by any means... But they both will do 350 mile days without issue though a little hard on the wrists in town.
    Regular Thruxtons are more available than the R at the mo (so my dealer tells me) so I would have thought a good dealer would have one on the demo fleet? Both bikes are great... Let yet your heart decide!

17. dickydido

dickydido Senior Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Wiltshire
    #17 dickydido, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    ....well, if we are all going to start throwin' horny pictures about to try and pull the poor bloke from the 'right side to the dark side'.......

....the sticker on me camper gives you my perspective on life, I'm 61 in February and in the very classic and classy white and black, this truly fulfills the Triumph ad strap line 'authentic and timeless style'......but for me this also says 'understated, handsome and FUN'..........

ffg......just look at the hornets nest you've stirred up and you've only just arrived!!!......well done, keep it up when you do finally decide what to buy.....

Cheers,

dickydido
    IMG_0300.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  18. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    yup but how much are all the extras bought and fit seperately? If buying the R works out cheaper than adding all the bits to a standard one then if youre fussy about the colour you could go for any colour you want.
    how much would it cost to convert a standard thrux to an R, out of interest?

19. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I'd still like to know

20. ffg

ffg New Member

Oct 7, 2016
    UK
    Thanks VF for posting the manual, I see damping is adjustable on the rears for both compression and return, as well as the (tricky) pre-load.

It seems new bikes of both types are in short supply until April/May but there are a few of both models at dealers with low miles so that's another tricky decision. I don't mind waiting a bit, but if May turns into July...

Colour - for me the green is fantastic for the stock and red for the R. Decisions, decisions...