1200 Monster.s V Speed Triple R.

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by bob1, Jul 28, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    thinking of a second bike speed triple r 2016 model or a ducati monster 1200s I used to have the triple so I know how good they are. has any one owned or ridden the monster and what you thought of it.

2. Bryf

Bryf Guest

They are obviously two totally different animals, with the Ducati being a V twin.

I test rode a monster 1200 last year, at that time I had an Aprilia Tuono V4R 1000 and was starting to have the odd minor problem with it so decided it was maybe time to change, got to say I did really enjoy riding the Ducati I felt it handled really well and enjoyed the grunt and vibe of the big V twin engine, I was sorely tempted but having loved my original Tuono I ended up getting a newer updated 1100 version of that, which in hindsight now I am glad I did.

I have also recently rode the Speed Triple, around 2 months ago when my Speed Twin was in for its first service they gave me one to have a play with, I was well impressed with it, again it handled beautifully and the engine felt so smooth with plenty of power on tap, I have to say based on my very limited experience of both, personally the Triumph would be my first choice, and would be one I'd consider myself when changing in the future.

3. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    thanks for the reply the tuono 1100 never ridden one but that's in a different league again I have always fancied a ducati Italian exotica and all that nonsense but its the servicing costs belts and all that caper that might put me off. a friend had a panigale and the service charges at a main dealer were just taking the piss.

4. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    before I bought my Speed Triple I tested the standard 1200 Monster and loved it ,the only thing that stopped me getting one was I wasn't able to ride on the balls of my feet as their wasn't room as the rear foot rest bracket got in the way and it was part of the frame so nothing you can do about it,The S version has a different rear peg set up so it wouldn't be a problem (at the time the S had just came out and I couldn't afford one otherwise that would have been my choice), I love the Ducati engines as they are so exhilarating I've yet to ride a bike with a more addictive engine, I found the Monster to be a really easy bike to ride and it handled great,like the Speed Triple, they have extended the time by quite a bit for belt changes and they are not near as unreliable as they used to be,as for servicing costs I don't think they would be much more expensive than Triumph dealers.If I were you I'd go get a test ride of one