1200 engine cases - any gaskets required when re-fitting?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Garydiesel, Mar 8, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Garydiesel

Garydiesel Member

Mar 1, 2017
    Bangor, North Wales.
    Plan is to take the engine side cases off for polishing. (I've already done the coolant tank cover)
    Before I get the socket set out, are there any gaskets or O rings that I need for re-fitting? Anything else I need to be aware of or is it a fairly straightforward job?

Thanks

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    early days on this model. Hope someone comes back to you

3. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Can't you polish them while they are on the bike ?
    I know it would be easier on a workbench but I have been looking at my black casings on the Bonnie which have taken a hammering this winter and reckon I could do them in situ with a bit of patience.
    Having said that I will probably opt to have them hard anodised in black which will mean taking them off.

4. Garydiesel

Garydiesel Member

Mar 1, 2017
    Bangor, North Wales.
    I could do them by hand sitting on a cold garage floor, wearing out my finger tips and elbows.
    Or, I could take them off and use the polishing machine in the nice warm shed.
    Difficult innit!

5. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    I suppose if you decided to sit on the cold garage floor and use your finger tips while resting on your elbows it would be rather uncomfortable.
    So if I suggested using a bike stand that would cost you ~ £60, maybe a comfortable mat on the floor, transferring whatever heater you have got in your nice warm shed to the garage and using your polishing machine instead of your finger tips would that help ?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Garydiesel

Garydiesel Member

Mar 1, 2017
    Bangor, North Wales.
    Didn't say, polisher is a bench mounted affair ;)

Anyway, taken the plunge, and that's the alternator cover off. Little bit tricky, 'cos alternator and crankshaft pick up are in the cover, so had to disconnect a few cables. Not as much as it says in the book though!
    Clutch cover removal tomorrow, pick up new gaskets from main dealers on Friday.

7. Garydiesel

Garydiesel Member

Mar 1, 2017
    Bangor, North Wales.
    Well it did take a while, to do the job and for me to post the result. ;)

I think a lesson here is, if you're ordering a new bike, add the chrome cases option. Or black, obviously.
    If any one wants any tips on taking the cases off, then please PM me.

Suppose this should go on the specific thread on the thruxton forum as well?

20170328_170443.jpg
    Clutch case. (After!)
    20170320_121630.jpg

Alternator case, before.

20170321_153047.jpg
    Alternator case, after.

20170322_150243.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. newT120

newT120 Active Member

Apr 1, 2016
    London
    Gary - they look great.
    I've got a similar problem on my new T120 cases and maybe a good polish will go some way to making them look a bit better. Normal Solvol Autosol doesn't seem to work - do you use any special paste or similar ? Don't fancy taking the cases off and haven't got access to a polishing machine anyway, but have good quantity of elbow grease !