12,000 Mile Service

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Bryan3R, May 20, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    Just been quoted £940 for service at Triumph East London!
    It that about normal for the big one?

• WTF WTF x 3
  2. Andymarksonline

Andymarksonline Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Kent
    I bloody well hope not!!!

Ouchey ouchey

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    £650 last time my 12,000 service was done on a speed triple, no shim changes though.

£940 seems very expensive.
    Parts and consumables are probably £120 maximum, rest is labour

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. RSReggie

RSReggie Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    North West UK
    Jeez ! May last one a few years ago was 550 ish at Youlds .. I would shop around ! Worth a bit of travel to save hundreds !
    How about the independent guy mentioned on here occasionally I think he was about 400 for the major service, you could even include B&B in that and save ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Andymarksonline

Andymarksonline Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Kent
    Clive Woods is based near Lincoln I think well worth a visit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    My local bike shop quoted £300 plus parts, which i recon is a bit over £200 for the service kit, shims, oil and plugs.
    The service kit is about £125 plus the oil on top

7. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    Jesus Christ, I'm glad I do my one servicing.
    Think I'd change the bike before I dropped almost a grand on a service. Whatever happened to bikes being a cheap form of transport :eek:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    Does he do work down in Essex?

9. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    That’s where I am too.
    Mine isn’t due for 3,000 miles, was just curious about the cost as had a part exchange offer. If I keep it for another year i’ll be the one paying it, or could move it on now with 9,000 miles on it.

10. Andy Martin

Andy Martin New Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Bath
    Down Bristol way a mate was charged 660... He was thinking of chopping it in for a RS, but unless he had the service they wouldn't part on full value... So he's screwed all angles.

11. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    #10 Adie P, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Clive WOOD is based in Swineshead, Lincolnshire and he is THE MAN for all things TRIUMPH service related. He does loads of Street Triple work (had mine and the wife's serviced there) because of repeat recommendations on the forum.

His bill is "inexpensive" not 'cheap' but his work, his manner, his helpfulness, his set up - accommodation might be available, but there's plenty of nearby accommodation - are all part of the experience.

I guess we all have to understand that main dealers have overheads and additional costs to cover - indeed, I think there's a 'lively discussion' going on elsewhere on this forum regarding high main dealer service charges - but there is also a case to argue about transparency of costs and value for money. A service from Clive WOOD will provide you with those AND the satisfaction and peace of mind of having seen the work being done. Properly.

If you can get it booked in there - he does have a fairly long lead time, surprise, surprise - then it will be cheaper in the long run.

My 2p.

EDIT :- BTW, if you get the chance, ask to see the Mark One SPEEDS he has in his hallway. :yum

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Have to agree with this, Clive is the absolute guru on Triumphs. He even does courses on maintenance and rebuilding engines.
    A real font of knowledge.

13. Taff

Taff Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Cymru
    That’s interesting.
    I considered “chopping mine in” and the dealer said don’t service it because they could do the service “at cost” so I would be better off.
    Kept the bike in the end.

14. sam triple

sam triple Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2018
    hampshire
    just looked at Destination Triumphs fixed price servicing they quote 649 for 12000 mile service ,20000mile is 940 ish worth looking at other triumph dealers web sites

15. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    #14 t552, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Adie hit the nail square on. Will not get better than Clive.
    Whoever does it make sure hub and linkages are done. Many domt!!! at great cost later. Clive sees many that are failed although have a dealer service record. 07752 477738

• Like Like x 1
  16. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    << Adie hit the nail square on >> Funny you should mention that .... I've spent the last couple of days putting 6X2 joists into my wooden workshop to form a storage platform. If you've ever put square twist nails into metal joist hangers you'll know just how awkward it is to get the buggers started - if you hold them they tend to gently rip your thumb and forefinger as they start to turn themselves in; if you miss-hit slightly, they ping out and you smack thumb and forefinger with the hammer.

I've not been entirely consistent with hitting these nails on the head so, hopefully, the advice and recommendation for Clive's services will be seen as the outcome of a far better experience ......

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. steve59

steve59 Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Gents, I hate to say it, but I don't have a triumph in my garage anymore because I can't afford to ride them! dealers here charge $1200 for the 12k tunes throw in a couple sets of tires and at the cost of gas I think it added up to .50 a mile to ride. My last triumph was the R3. valve cks were 20k apart and only $550.

18. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    Well I’ve just turned 12k without realising it after reading the mot certificate,no way in hell am i paying dealer prices for its 12k service will be checking out independents,Glasgow area or thereabouts Bill The Biker has very good reviews ,also Steve Breirton but his reviews are mixed some good some bad,not got funds for another month or so any recommendations welcome in or near Glasgow area.

19. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    You really don’t need to sell the bike because of extortionate main dealer labour rates, once it’s out of warranty just use a decent independent or do the oil and filter yourself if it’s not done many miles.

Triumphs are not made out of any special parts, they’re just a conventional motorcycle, any competent shop can service them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. steve59

steve59 Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2013
    I don't take my bikes to the dealer for routine maintenance but tires and valve checks I do. A pair of pr4's fitted cost around $600 and i'll go thru 2 sets between valve cks. I haven't found a wrench that'll work for cash on the side and harleys are all the rage here so finding someone interested in working on a euro bike has been tedious.

21. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    Dealer service costs are far to expensive for me to swallow.
    A small service is £154, basically and oil and filter (£45worth of parts)
    Also I don't trust them to look after my bike, had work done once. And they dripped brake fluid on my clock, leaving a blister. My mate resently had warranty work done, and they scratched his clocks ( denied it was them:confused:)
    I'm actually looking forward to doing my valve checks, nice winters evening job :)
    Sometimes wish I had and older bike, so I don't need to return it for diagnostic stuff.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I did my 12,000 mile service over last winter, took me a while, but it was on sorn so it was the perfect time to do it. Didn't need shims so it was plugs, oil and filter, throttle balance, drop link and hub bearings, and coolant. About £130 all up :D

• Like Like x 3