110 Mph And No Ban

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by andypandy, Feb 18, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
  2. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    Bet that news outlet doesn't report the car drivers getting done for same speed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    #3 brown mouse, Feb 18, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
    Looking online, the penalty should be "Six points or 7-56 days disqualified, fine of 150% of weekly income". With bigger fines if there are other factors which make it worse (trafic, weather, more dangerous vehicle).

I also heard (online somewhere, so don't know it's accuracy) that at around twice the speed limit they'll consider prosecuting for dangerous driving, which is naturally harsher penalties. Which I can't say I disagree with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    His punishment could depend on who was in the dock before him. A friend of mine got caught at 110 on the M18 back in the early 80's. The case in court before his was a guy caught doing the same in his car and his brief pleaded hardship and that he owned several shops around the area and a ban meant he would have to close the shops making people redundant etc etc. He got 9 points and a fine. My mate got the same and he reckons he would have received a ban if the guy in the car had not "got off" for the same offence in the same place on the same day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire

High speed doesn't necessarily mean dangerous. Yes, it's obviously illegal as the limit in law is 70 but I submit time, place and traffic conditions are critical factors. I guess there aren't many Triumphs that will do 140+, especially the Classics. All I can say is a ZZR1400 feels as stable and planted at 140 as at 70 (so I'm told) as do most other bikes with top speeds approaching 3 times the limit.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    I guess I agree there's always exceptions, but to me that would be if there was literally no other road users, and no junctions, otherwise the closing speed with other traffic when doing those speeds would make it dangerous. I guess as a rider of a naked 'classic' I've only been on the receiving end of excessive speed...

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I should add that in no way was I knocking the Classics! Since buying my first Street Scrambler I've hardly ridden the other two. It's top speed is given as 110-115 but I doubt very much it would hit that with me on it, not that I'm in the least bothered. It's as enjoyable at 50-70 as anything else I've ridden:grinning:.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    I wasn't taking your comments in any disparaging way :)

I was more pointing out that my two wheel attraction doesn't involve the speed aspect, so I guess my viewpoint may be skewed by that.

I probably shouldn't be posting after 3 beers, so will stop now ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

I got lit up going stupid speed some years back, probably 110-115mph. HD Sporty. As soon as I saw the lights go on I pulled over. The cop, a State Trooper, finally caught up with me about a half mile down the road. He told me that immediately pulling over is what saved me from an arrest. He even reduced the charge to 90mph which in turn saved me from a reckless driving charge and criminal court. Another dude I know did the same thing and the cop whipped out his gun all nervous and spastic like. He didn't arrest him but he threw the book at him- towed the bike, reckless driving, automatic 1 yr suspension, etc. Dude still drove for the following year and never got done for it. 2 different states, FL and NC respectively.

I got my Speed Twin up to an astonishing 138 mph right after break-in. I doubt I'll ever be doing that again. Seriously doubt it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    In Australia they have mandatory set fines , anything over 47km above the posted speed limit is Automatically 'Dangerous' and comes Under 'Hooning' legislation ( yeah we have hooning as an offence) it's thousands of $$$ and all points gone in one go ! Depending on your previous , they confiscate for up to 3/6 months , some states crush or auction Off !
    And Gaol/Jail up to Four years I believe is on the books !! Any and all combinations of fore mentioned is possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    That's scary !

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    About 20 years back I got stopped for doing 105 in a 60 limit (duel carriageway) in my car. I was told to expect a ban. I got my boss to wright a letter saying I would loose my job if I got banned. (Bit of a porky pie)

The magistrates took that into consideration saying that the result of a ban would outweigh the crime so gave me 6 points and a large fine of around £650 instead.

I was in two minds later on as a ban would likely have been for two or three weeks at that time.

No excuse, but the evening before driving to work my house had been hit by lightning and caused quite a bit of damage and I was driving on autopilot when I was stopped thinking about insurance claims and the like.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    I worked as a laser camera operator for nine months or so.
    When we were operational , we had Police two way radios in our cars. If we picked up a "hoon" offence or very close to the 47km over the area's posted limit , we had to contact VKI that's the WA Police Communication centre and alert all local patrolling cars , giving details of make , model etc ... Especially the Registration !!!
    It amazed me how many times you would be setup in a position for many hours and get the same Car/Driver multiple times !! Most I got was four times in two and a bit hours , two points per and $400 each , that's 8 out of the total 12 .. and approximately 1 1/2 weeks average wage :D:eek::D:eek: :)

• Agree Agree x 1