Sprint 1050 St At Home, Some Questions.

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by Hubaxe, May 13, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    Hi all,
    After 1 month of patience I finally put the hand on the bike, the first day out of lockdown is like xmas.
    I went to Megeve to bring the 1050 ST home.
    It's a 2005 ABS model, a little 55000 km. Full history, always maintained by dealer, but some questions.
    Before riding the bike, I make a full check, fluid change, etc..
    Bar risers installed, front brake pad changed, can't change the rear ones. A "professional mechanic" changed the 6 sides hole of pad axle into round. Can't remove the pad pin properly. Drill, extractors (one broke, just to confirm the last mechanic was a wa..er), they are now gone, but I have to wait for the new Nissin pins to arrive.

Question: In the history, I saw that the regulator was changed 2 times already (one under warranty).
    Is that a known weakness of the 1050 ST? Is the issue this regulator is not enough cooled into the fairing?

This being said the bike is really cool, the engine runs really well. Can't wait to ride on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    There I also removed the caliper from the bike, but I could only confirm that the screw 6 side hole were all rounded. Looks like a common issue with those Nissin pins moreover when those are fit with a bad tool and unappropriate force.

3. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    I'm thinking about a hose taking fresh onto the regulator.

4. trudd

trudd Member

Oct 13, 2014
    • Useful Useful x 2
  5. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    Mine is also on the right side , same place.
    In France people often say "six pans creux" instead of allen, :) . We love to put a lot of words for simple things.. I'll use Allen from now :grinning:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    Thanks, really interesting thread. I definitively need to apply one of these cooling solution.

7. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    At noon pause I've taken 5 minutes in front of the bike. A cooling hose could be placed from aside the oil radiator up to the regulator.
    I made a high level engineering plan with paint. Hope the bike makers lobby will not steal my idea.. :p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. trudd

trudd Member

Oct 13, 2014
    As I understand it, one of the main reasons for moving the reg/rec was due to a modification to the foam on the inside of the fairing in 2007/08. Riders were complaining that their right leg was getting too warm so the foam was modified to create a barrier between the fairing and the frame. The holes were then enlarged in the side of the fairing to help heat escape. However, the reg/rec is behind the hole in the fairing so it now got very hot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. trudd

trudd Member

Oct 13, 2014
    As I understand it, one of the main reasons for moving the reg/rec was due to a modification to the foam on the inside of the fairing in 2007/08. Riders were complaining that their right leg was getting too warm so the foam was modified to create a barrier between the fairing and the frame. The holes were then enlarged in the side of the fairing to help heat escape. However, the reg/rec is further back than the hole in the fairing so it now got very hot.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    That's exactly the case on my ST. My bike is a 2005, and I have the big black foam, probablys added afterward by a dealer. The reg is just behind the foam. My plan is to fix a flexible tube in the foam, and get fresh air in the front lower part of the fairing. If my plan is ok, this can be fixed on the right side panel without shadowing the vent. I need to find a flexible aluminium hose and try that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    Nothing impossible, I just try to find the easiest solution.

• Like Like x 1
  12. trudd

trudd Member

Oct 13, 2014
    All of the fairings have foam but it's whether you have the later style with the barrier. Items 33 and 34 on this microfiche: https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/6806/sprint-st-from-vin-208167-/bodywork-lower-fairings

13. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
  14. dreitopf

dreitopf Active Member

Feb 27, 2020
    Germany
    I got my first ST in 2005 without this barriers and at my first long ride to Italy I got blisters at my legs near Crownlewels:tired_face::tired_face:. A phone cal to my dealer....he calls Triumph and short time later the answer...take tape and close all holes!
    Ok...if Triumph says..close...will do it. It was better for my legs and the engine runs not more hot. 4 weeks later I got a call from Triumph...all ST 1050 will get these barriers.
    So..my ST was the fastest eggburner in Germany:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    After considering putting a hose to cool the regulator, I've been to the conclusion the option of relocating the RR to the left side is easier. I'm about to follow your good and appreciated advices.
    I'm now trying to find some RR cable extension. I can probably build the bracket myself.

16. dreitopf

dreitopf Active Member

Feb 27, 2020
    Germany
    Later models...the regulator is on the left side near headlights...so I thik you can geht the long cable from Triumph.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    can't find. Last solution would be to solder/heat shrink extension with the correct wire gauge.

• Like Like x 1
  18. trudd

trudd Member

Oct 13, 2014
    The extension cable and bracket are both available and, from memory, are not very expensive. I'll see if I can dig out the part numbers.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    As the stator is on the left side already, maybe there is no need for an extension cable. Can't find any on the web, only brackets for sale.
    Will remove the fairing this week end and look at that. maybe will take the time also to inspect the stator, and the voltage regulator changed under warranty, hoping it's already a MOSFET version.

20. trudd

trudd Member

Oct 13, 2014
    I hunted yesterday for the part numbers but couldn't find them. However, you've just prompted me to check the last place!

The cable from the stator will reach easily but you then need an extension cable to plug the reg/rec back into the loom on the right hand side of the frame.

I think the cable is listed as a speed triple part but the part number is T2501035 (£9.18 from Fowlers https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/view/T2501035)

The bracket is T2306889 (£3.43 at Fowlers https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/view/T2306889)

• Useful Useful x 2