1000 Miles On....

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by 45Brit2017, Jul 14, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. 45Brit2017

45Brit2017 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2017
    UK
    ... what do you get? Well, the new-to-me gloss has worn off, so was it still a good buy?

Yes, I think so. I'm still making excuses to take it out for a gallop.

I've just noticed, after not having ridden it for about ten days, that the right side footrest was noticeably loose - vibration, I assume. I've tightened it, and now I'm going to take it out to see if that has cured the skittishness?

The seat simply isn't good enough. My son-in-law has just had his Africa Twin reupholstered by a local shop, and it's very good. That's got to be worth a try, for less than half the cost of a new seat.

The Dart flyscreen is less noticeable than I'd expected. A small bikini fairing would probably have been a better choice.

Press on!

2. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Might pay to put a little paint mark on the nuts/bolts, halfton, particularly the ones that have previously loosened, easy to visually check that way.
    Threadlock should be used with the shock absorber bolts, they shouldn't vibrate loose.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    The bikini fairings do look good in my opinion.

IMG_0831.JPG

IMG_0558.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  4. 45Brit2017

May 30, 2017
    UK
    One of those came with the bike, the PO clearly didn't fancy it and TBH, it didn't ring my bell either..

5. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    It's all a matter of personal choice.
    Absolutely hopeless for any wind deflection.
    Purely cosmetic, one advantage is that it covers most of the unsightly rectifier.

6. 45Brit2017

May 30, 2017
    UK
    I wouldn't call that, a "bikini fairing", rather a solid flyscreen. I suspect that the "unsightly rectifier" is a styling point, referencing the Zener Diodes (and attendant heat sinks) fitted in that location on late Meriden Triumphs. BSAs also had them.

7. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    The rectifier position may be a 'styling' point, but there are numerous forum members who have re-located it on their Bonnies with purpose made kits because they don't like the 'styling'.
    I have had older Triumphs and BSA's with the bullet shaped heat sinks.They looked crap as well.
    Bikini or fly screen fairing ? Not a big thing!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. 45Brit2017

May 30, 2017
    UK
    The first thing I did, was bought a pair of the big finned exhaust clamps, because EVERY Triumph should have them.. but most don't seem to do this.

9. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Again personal choice, which is the great thing about the Bonnies.
    Customise to suit your own taste and requirements.
    Have you started looking at upgrading the suspension ?, that is one of the main issues with the new Bonnies.

10. 45Brit2017

May 30, 2017
    UK
    I have, but don't have time to spend on it right now. Too many projects, its summer and its racing season..