10 Driving Offences You Didn't Know Existed

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Judd Dredd, Dec 8, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Judd Dredd

Judd Dredd Giver of Drugs, Vaccines and Hard Truths

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    Source RAC

1. Sleeping while inebriated in your car
    If you’ve had too much to drink, you quite rightly won’t consider driving.

But if you’ve got nowhere else to stay, you might consider sleeping in the car instead, at least until you’ve sobered up.

However, in doing so, you could leave yourself open to a drunk in charge fine.

The law states that those in charge of a motor vehicle should not be inebriated. This is not overly specific and while you could argue that being asleep means you are not necessarily 'in charge' of the vehicle, the police can (and historically have) used this as an excuse to charge people with a driving offence.

2. Flashing your lights to give way
    Many of us will commonly use them to allow other drivers through gaps, but this technically could be considered a driving offence if an accident resulted from it.

Headlight flashes should only be used to warn drivers of your presence on the road.

Simply put, it’s open to misinterpretation (particularly as it means different things in other countries), so think carefully before you reach for the beams.

3. Overtaking at a pedestrian crossing
    Coming up to a pedestrian crossing on a multi-lane road? Is there a car already stationary there? If the lights then change to green, do not use your extra momentum to zip past the stationary car - this is illegal.
    You must not overtake the car nearest to the pedestrian crossing. Why? Because their vehicle may be concealing a pedestrian already on the crossing.

4. Letting animals out of the car while broken-down on the hard shoulder
    The Highway Code clearly states that you must leave any animals in a broken-down vehicle when stranded on the hard shoulder.

Only in an emergency should you consider letting them out - if you don’t obey this and an accident is caused by your animal on the hard shoulder, you could face a driving offence charge.

5. Parking on the wrong side of the road at night
    Motorists should not park on the wrong side of the road at night.

This is not, as some may think, because you have to drive on the opposite side of the road both to enter and leave the space, actually it’s because of the risks dazzling.

You’ll both dazzle other drivers with your headlights as you park and leave, while your rear light reflectors will also not be visible once you’ve left the car.

This is a driving offence under rule 248 of the Highway Code and can receive a Penalty Charge Notice.

6. Using your mobile phone as a sat nav in an unfixed position
    The mobile phone law specifically refers to using your phone as a sat nav, stating it is illegal to use a hand-held mobile to follow a map.

In order to use smartphone navigation or a mapping app, the phone must be fixed to the windscreen or dashboard (preferably the dashboard as to not impede the driver's view), so it’s in clear sight for use while driving, without requiring you to hold it.

The mobile phone and driving laws have changed and if you are caught breaching them you will now receive a £200 fine and six points on your licence, which would be enough to get a new driver - who has had their licence for less than two years - banned.

7. Parking within 10 metres of a junction
    Parking too close to a junction makes it harder for everyone - those approaching the junction have to steer around the car, and those turning into the junction risk driving into an unsighted car on the wrong side of the road.

Therefore, it is a driving offence, so don’t commit it.

8. Driving on the pavement unless you’re turning into a driveway
    Rule 244 of the Highway Code states that you must not park fully or even partly on the pavement unless road signs permit it: in London, it’s an offence to park on the pavement, full stop.

This is perhaps one of the most common Highway Code rules broken and, if you’re parked in a way to inconvenience pedestrians, you’re causing a driving offence.

9. Using the horn between 11.30pm and 7am in a built up area
    It seems like taxi drivers do it all the time - beeping the horn late at night. But it’s actually illegal - and this includes a short parp when waving to the family during your early-morning start.

It’s unlikely the police would charge you if caught, but it’s still a driving offence you may not be aware of.

10. Driving at more than 50mph in a van on a single carriageway road
    This is a rule that catches many people unawares.

Vans that aren't car-derived* must not exceed:

• 50mph on single carriageways
    • 60mph on dual carriageways
    • 70mph on motorways
    So don’t try to keep up with the flow on single carriageways, as you’ll be breaking the law. On dual carriageways, the limit is 60mph, but these vans are allowed to do 70mph on the motorway.

*A car-derived van is a goods vehicle which is constructed or adapted as a derivative of a passenger vehicle and which has a maximum laden weight not exceeding 2 tonnes

• Like Like x 2
  2. Judd Dredd

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    don't doubt it, consider it more of a FYI in case you have an overzealous copper

• Like Like x 1
  3. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    In the USA drunk sleeping in car is ok if you don't have keys. But laws vary by states.

Standing on the footpegs is illegal in KS even though the KS riding manual advises to do so over bumps. This is known as stunt riding and fines are stiff.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Judd Dredd

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    http://www.pdalaw.co.uk/services-for-you/road-traffic-offences/drunk-in-charge/
    Sounds like he could have had a defence or two available there, was the car park still a public place? and could he argue that he had no intention to drive?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Years ago a mate of mine had a skinful and decided quite rightly not to drive home, so he kipped down in his car for the night in the pub car park after asking the landlord if that would be OK. He had the presence of mind not to have the keys on him, which was just as well as the police came by later and checked on his car.
    They woke him up, asked him what he was doing and he explained that he was too drunk to drive so he was sleeping here for the night. Plod then asked him where the keys were - "Ah, I knew you would ask that" he said "It's not a problem, I've locked them in the boot!"
    Plod drove off laughing :D:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

My brother got done in Scotlandshire when he was a young man and dating
    Some Jockinese lassy :confused:
    He had an argument with her about haggis or something :eek:
    Went and got pissed with his car and decided not to drive back and sleep in it until the morning :confused:
    Police spotted the steamed up windows and woke him up :confused:
    He got fined and 10 points on his license :eek:
    I got a cheap Ford Capri because he couldn’t afford the insurance after that :p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Every cloud eh?:cool:

• Like Like x 2
  10. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    I won't worry too much about these 10 traffic offences.
    Traffic law enforcement is, I believe, at an all time low.
    It is a lawless free for all out there on the roads.
    We love to keep having rules for this and rules for that, trouble is no agency enforces them, unless that is the agency concerned happens to be a camera, of course.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    One of our 44 tonne artics had a puncture, pulled up at side of road as soon as he noticed as he left a customers premises on an industrial estate in Rainham. Local government parking enforcement officer arrives shortly afterwards, he tells the driver to move or he will issue a ticket. Driver explains the puncture etc and says he can't move until the tyre is repaired, the cock womble then issues a ticket anyway!

I have appealed the PCN, but surely common sense should have dictated that it wasn't issued in the first place? Instead of which my time & that of the council official who deals with the appeal is wasted, why? ... I guess it will be something to do with quotas of ticket issued. :mad:

This is a current situation, therefore ongoing so no outcome as yet, below is the text of my appeal, I also sent the tyre company call out sheet etc showing the location & vehicle reg.

"Our driver had a puncture & had to pull over, it was not safe to drive a 44 tonne articulated truck on the highway with a flat tyre, our driver explained this to the officer issuing the ticket but they still issued? I have attached the Bridgestone Tyres call out paperwork which shows the location & registration number of the vehicle.
    I would contest the legality of the ticket being issued in the first place, as a HGV vehicle operator we have our first priority with the safety of our driver & other road users, moving a vehicle before the repair to the tyre would have been dangerous."

• Like Like x 3
  12. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    However if it is closed off at night by a barrier or similar then it becomes private and the Road Traffic Act does not apply.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    That’s a bit risky too, the minimum penalty for failing to provide a specimen is a 12 month ban and a fine of 75-125% of your weekly income, if found guilty of course. o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Many moons ago I visited a friend for the weekend and parked my bike in his garage for the night, the garage wasnt integral but on the estate, you know the type, a row of several garages within the estate at one end of the parking spaces. the entrance into the estate was marked private. Anyway on the morning I was leaving on the way down to the garage I realised I'd forgotten something in the flat so went up to get it and asked my friend to get the bike out the garage and chucked him my keys. When I got down to the garage he was outside stood next to my bike chatting to a policeman.
    I walked up and asked if there was a problem, the policeman asked me if this was my bike and I said yes he then asked if I'd given permission for my friend to ride it, well I hadn't really just asked him to get it out of the garage but I wouldn't have minded either way. It transpired that my mate had started it up rode out of the garage and did a little circuit of the garage access road, a dead end with garages either side. Plod then asked me to consider my answer carefully as I admitted to letting him ride it I would get done for aiding and abetting my mate in riding a bike without a helmet, insurance and no licence, he had a car licence but it was a 400/4 so above the learner cc of 250 at the time. But, if I said I hadn't given him permission I would not get charged but my mate would get all the above plus theft of said motorcycle!! Well I got 3 points and I think, a 30 quid fine, it was in the '70's, and my mate still got a ban, points and a hefty fine. I thought the access road was private but as said, if the public have access it's a different kind of private

• Useful Useful x 2
  15. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    I'm pretty sure I remember a colleague getting done for drunk in charge. He was staying at a hotel, had a bit of a skinful, but before he went to bed, popped/staggered out to get something from the boot of his car. Unfortunately for him, a passing police officer saw him looking unsteady and struggling to get the key into the boot lock. Hook, line and sinkered...

16. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:eek:ACAB:mad:

17. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    I had a mate, who whilst drunk, thought it would be funny to push a parked motorcycle to the other side of the road and re-park it on double yellow lines.

He got done for taking a vehicle without the owners consent, drunk driving, riding without a helmet and riding without insurance. That will teach him.

18. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Same here mate. :p

• Like Like x 1
  19. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Oi! Hang on a minute, I don’t get paid anything at all. I don’t get benefits or anything paid for by anyone’s income tax. I’m just living off my savings at the minute and pay for my own beer and motorcycles, yer cheeky tw@t! :p

• Funny Funny x 2