05 Sprint St Charging Issues

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by deaks25, May 21, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. deaks25

deaks25 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2018
    Birmingham, UK
    #1 deaks25, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
    Sadly, my first post is a pela for technical help.

I have a 2005 Sprint ST 1050 with 45k on the clock. It's been neglected a little but is mechanically in good condition.

The major issue is that it keeps eating voltage regulators. The history suggests it's had no end of electrical bugs & when it developed issues, I did some research & discovered the vulnerable alternators. Sure enough, mine was damaged.

So in February, the alternator, regulator AND battery were all replaced. The alternator & regulator are both brand new Electrosport items, a brand which had been recommended from several sources. I did consider an Electric Works, but the feedback is a bit mixed & I'm not confident with cable modifications.

The problem has returned however. The battery is receiving charge when the engine is cold, but once at temp it no longer is receiving charge & the regulator was so hot I couldn't touch it at all. I've carried out a resistance test on the alternator & is fine, & there is no scorching of the connector, so I'm looking at the reg again.

As I mentioned, the bike has been neglected a bit & sure enough the coolant level was very low (I was told it had been serviced when I bought it!), so topped that up along with the oil in the hope that it was the engine overheating the regulator that was causing the problem.

The only other thing I can think of was it was functioning fine & then I reconnected the Oxford heated grips. They function fine so unless the Sprint's electrics don't like accessories connected to the battery, I'm out of ideas.

Any ideas would be helpful. I'm ordering another regulator, making it 5 in 3 years & 3 since October!

EDIT: I should add before the alternator & regulator were changed, the main fuse blew. It's a 30A slot but had a 25A fuse in it. I replaced it with a 30A fuse but it's bugged me why a 25A was installed & if there's any relation to the main issue.

2. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi and welcome to the forum.
    I suspect Sprinter will be along soon to possibly help with your problem.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Have you tried disconnecting the heated grips?

4. deaks25

May 21, 2018
    Birmingham, UK
    I did as soon as I noticed the battery was low, hasn't solved the problem. I was more wondering if this could be causing the issue.

5. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Have a look here I know it’s not specific to your problem but it might help

6. trudd

trudd Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Is the reg/rec still in the original position on the right side? Triumph moved it to the front left in an effort to keep it cooler. The bracket and extension cables are available for not a lot of money.

You should be able to run heated grips and accessories without a problem. I run grips, sat nav, usb charger and battery monitor.

There is a lot of useful information on Triumphrat with regards to reg/recs, swapping for better units, wiring direct to the battery, etc. Luckily for me I've never had a problem other than the connector starting to burn out. I caught it before it became an issue as I have a battery monitor fitted (http://www.sparkbright.co.uk/sparkright-eclipse-battery-voltage-monitor.php).

Sprints don't seem to like the water tank being full. If mine has too much in it then it just spits it out and finds it's own level. I usually find my tank really low/empty but have never had a problem.

7. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

Not a clue.
    I was going to say if your eating Reg/Recs than check your stator.

8. deaks25

May 21, 2018
    Birmingham, UK
    It is still on the right hand side. That's good to know, will definitely look into relocating it.

My bike does have what looks like an extension bracket in the original position. I think it's from some non-standard thing that was fitted (It's not for crash bungs or anything else significant, just a metal bar with threaded bolt holes at either end). The bracket is adjustable obviously to allow it to line up. It would lift it away from the engine a bit so might try that.

I've been thinking about a volt meter. I'm getting very good at spotting the early signs the battery is a bit low to be honest, but that looks a nice, neat solution. Would need to hang onto the user manual :p.

I fashioned a dip-stick to check as I can never read water bottle levels (Same on every bike I've had). I didn't fill it enough for any to go into the overflow pipe & took nearly 1/2 a litre so it was probably below min level.

9. deaks25

May 21, 2018
    Birmingham, UK
    Heard mixed things about the Mofset regulators to be honest. Some say they're perfect & don't go wrong as often as normal regulators, others say they are just as prone to failing as any other reg & absolutely trash batteries when they do.

I'm also not too keen on having to do cable modifications, so I'm not keen on the Mofset regs

10. deaks25

May 21, 2018
    Birmingham, UK
    Right, I *think* I may have resolved the issue.

I’ve rotated the reg on the aftermarket bracket so it is away from the engine. Air can now get behind it & the fins are almost entirely exposed to air.

Ran it until the radiator fan kicked in & the battery never dropped below 14v (14.17v nominally, 14.08 with fan running).

Hopefully this is the last I hear of the issue.

I really appreciate the input, especially Trudd who mentioned that the original location left regs prone to overheating. Going to give it a few days & see if the bike is now happy or if this is just one of many heads to be cut of the electrical monster!

• Like Like x 2
  11. deaks25

May 21, 2018
    Birmingham, UK
    Right, I *think* I may have resolved the issue.

I’ve rotated the reg on the aftermarket bracket so it is away from the engine. Air can now get behind it & the fins are almost entirely exposed to air.

Ran it until the radiator fan kicked in & the battery never dropped below 14v (14.17v nominally, 14.08 with fan running).

Hopefully this is the last I hear of the issue.

I really appreciate the input, especially Trudd who mentioned that the original location left regs prone to overheating. Going to give it a few days & see if the bike is now happy or if this is just one of many heads to be cut of the electrical monster!

• Like Like x 1
  12. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Suggest you re think mosfet. Seems to be the go to cure by the majority