05 Daytona 955i Running Hot

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by chipmiester, Jul 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. chipmiester

chipmiester Member

Mar 25, 2019
    tewkesbury uk
    Hi guys, I've had my 955i daytona since March and have noticed the bike gets hot quick once I'm in town or in slow traffic and fan kicks in at 22 f regularly, do they run hot anyway? Last week my rad started leaking and was basically shot (bikes done alot of miles), so got a used replacement off a low mileage bike and thought maybe old rad was reason for running hot but still does it. Never had a bike that had the fan kick in so often, is this normal or could it be something else. Cheers peeps.

2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Yes they do tend to run hot in town, slow speed riding, though the later ones are better than the first gen ones.
    If you’ve just changed the rad, keep an eye on your coolant level. They’re difficult to fill without getting airlocks and you may need to top it up a bit as the air is purged from the system.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. D'Ecosse

D'Ecosse Senior Member

Jun 23, 2019
    CA, USA
    #3 D'Ecosse, Jul 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    Presumably you mean 220-ish?
    The fan is programmed to come on at 103C which is 217.
    You can actually change that using TuneECU for a lower temperature, so fan will come on earlier - so it WILL keep the engine cooler, but of course the fan will run more frequently. It is not a problem to leave the fan-on temp as std and may even be preferred.
    However as @freck says, that is very 'normal' behaviour for fan to run often in slow moving traffic - and the std 220 temperature is not a concern.
    When you swapped the radiator I would expect you had done a coolant flush - willing to bet the stuff that came out looked REALLY bad (very dirty brown is very typical) - probably the most overlooked maintenance item.
    Again advice from @freck is good regarding ensuring it is completely filled - After the Thermostat opens the first time it makes a big difference to the level.
    If it starts puking coolant out of the reservoir overflow hose, then you know it does not have the correct fluid level.
    Do make sure you are not using tap water if mixing a concentrate coolant yourself - ONLY use DI water.
    Engine Ice and Evans are two popular premium coolant choices.

• Like Like x 1
  4. chipmiester

chipmiester Member

Mar 25, 2019
    tewkesbury uk
    What came out was clean as I replaced coolant when I got bike, I had to change rad cause it started leaking. Yeh my fan comes on at 220f just not use to it never had a bike run a fan as much as this bike lol