04 Daytona 600 Acceleration Issue/delay

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by chris khalil, Jul 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. chris khalil

chris khalil New Member

Jul 23, 2019
    Minnesota
    Hi All-

First and foremost, just want to say Hi as i am brand new to the forum as i just bought my first bike 4 weeks ago which is an 04 Daytona 600.

Long story short, I've always wanted a bike and when i got my permit I was impulsive and bought it from my GFs older brother although she told me it might not be a very good idea because it was convenient and a decent deal at $1800. The bike has 26,500 miles on it and he stated it was ready to ride and should just need a new battery since it hadn't been ridden much in 2 years as he has two other bikes. He also mentioned we should probably change the plugs but ever since i got the title from him he has been quite the dick and not helpful like he was until I had the title. (lesson learned). Right away, i had starting issues so i changed the battery and got new screws to the terminals because screws that were in there were not forming a solid connection. I also adjusted the clutch lever on the handle bar a little bit back and forth to get it to where it shifts smooth and has the recommended free play. I have had a couple friends look at the clutch and they said it's still in good condition and should last a bit.

Last Thursday, on my way home i stopped at a BP and gassed up with 93 and went home. When i was out on Saturday for a longer ride on the highways, i noticed when i put it in second gear and really roll the throttle like i like to do off lights, there was a delay (maybe loss of power) for a couple seconds before it really takes off.. i was out around the lakes last night and it was still happening but didn't seem to happen in 1st gear..

I have not changed the plugs yet which i probably should but don't exactly know where they are but i'm going to pick some up tonight on the way home. I was also thinking of getting some engine/fuel injector cleaner since it had sat around mostly the last year or two.

Is there such a thing as "filling up with bad gas"? Could it be anything else? I have been posts from searching google and some people say this issue is driven by a bad clutch but it seems to shift up and down smoothly and fine (i drive a manual car and have had clutches go bad where shifting is not smooth anymore).. I just find it ironic that before i stopped for gas i was really getting on the throttle hard with no issue because the roads were empty and suddenly after i'm having issues.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks,
    Chris

• Like Like x 1
  2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Welcome Chris. It could just be that you’re getting some old fuel through so it’d be worth putting some fuel system cleaner through it, and replace the spark plugs; they may well be the originals.
    Do you have any service history with the bike? Do you know when it was last serviced?
    It may be that it just needs a good service; plugs, air filter, oil change and maybe even a throttle body balance.
    Let’s see a pic or two of the new bike too :grinning:

3. chris khalil

chris khalil New Member

Jul 23, 2019
    Minnesota
    Thank you Freck!

I'm really hoping that that's all it is because all i want to do is ride all the time and i don't have a ton of spare cash to take it into a shop and have it tuned up (fix anything they find). This was the third time i filled it up since purchase i believe and have always filled right when the light comes on so there could definitely be older fuel left over.. when we picked it up from his friends garage there was some fuel in there as well but he filled up on the way back.

I do not have any service records (again, my fault, thought i could rely on his word but lesson learned, thought he was a better person). I don't know when it was last serviced, i know he did a lot of the work himself since he's been riding for several years and bought the bike with 14k on it. When we picked it up, he did put new oil in it and i have checked the brake fluid/coolant levels as well.

On thing that also stands out to me (which i'm hoping leads to sparks being the issue as he said they should be replaced) is when i fire it, the battery cranks super quick but the bike doesn't actually fire the first try or two after sitting for a night or two but will fire right away when i'm out riding and stop.

Any idea where the plugs are? I haven't seen any videos on the 04 600 but there was something on an 08 which appeared they were under the tank. Last night, i went down with a really (crappy) allen wrench that only has a few selections and it didn't fit the bolt. How complicated is it to change once you get the tank off and i'm assuming there are 4 plugs?

I live in Minnesota so i'm hoping to just make it through the rest of the season (1-2 more months) and then save up for a tuneup next spring.. I'm either going to tune it up, grab new tires and sell it and upgrade or buy a new fairing set and keep it since i would have put more money into it at that point..

Thanks again for all your help!

P.S- underglow stopped working a couple nights ago.. looks like one of the wires came out of the connector (they appear to have been connected by rounded electrical tape pieces smh..another thing to fix up)

asas.jpg

asasas.jpg

x.jpg

4. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Howdy Chris, and welcome in :cool::cool:

5. chris khalil

chris khalil New Member

Jul 23, 2019
    Minnesota
    Thanks guys! Just waiting for this meeting to wrap up so i can get out of here and head to Napa for some plugs..

Hopefully swapping them doesn't take too long and then i'll go fill up and add Sea Foam to the tank. I have a feeling the plugs are going to be pretty burnt when i pull them..

6. chris khalil

chris khalil New Member

Jul 23, 2019
    Minnesota
    Hey guys!

i went home and ended up needing to order the plugs to napa that came yesterday. I started to take the tank off and when i got to the bolts and everything off i noticed the fuel lines and didn't know what to do..i think i'm going to have someone come replace the plugs, clean the carbs, and an in general tuneup tomorrow for $250. I don't want to screw anything up so i can at least ride it the rest of the summer.

I did put sea foam in it. I was riding yesterday and i noticed the delay in acceleration is usually between 1-3k RPMs but then it just takes off.. hoping it's the plugs.

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  7. chris khalil

chris khalil New Member

Jul 23, 2019
    Minnesota
    Hey guys! I was able to find someone locally to help me replace the spark plugs... man they were not easy to Replace so luckily I found someone with all the tools! Bike has been running a lot better!

• Like Like x 2