04 Bonneville - Knobby Tires

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Ahsan Anwar, May 28, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ahsan Anwar

Ahsan Anwar New Member

May 28, 2020
    Texas
    Hi All,

I have a 04 Bonneville and would like to put some dual purpose knobby looking tires. I don't do much off-roading just like the look.

Any suggestions? Or would you recommend not putting knobby tires?

2. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    I'm by far not an expert (though I've been riding two-wheeled things with gas motors for about 50 years) so here's my opinion: I mostly agree with Smilinjack -don't do it for looks only (my disagreement is that I think they do look good). Functionality is very important on two wheels. Think safety. Only you know your skill level and willingness toward risk, though, so do your thing!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Howdy Ahsan, and welcome in :cool::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Go for a road knobbly like on the Triumph or Ducati scrambler they'll be fine and look cool

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ahsan Anwar

Ahsan Anwar New Member

May 28, 2020
    Texas
    Helpful, looking at the Continental Escape

6. Guillermo salinas

Guillermo salinas Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2019
    Azusa
    Will knobby tired perform poorly? Will it not handle turns as well?

7. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    Pirelli MT60’s as fitted to the Ducati Scrambler 800 grip really well on tarmac, wet or dry, don’t expect to get more than 4K miles out of the rear though , very soft compound, but I rather have a tyre wear quickly and provide good grip than last forever but not give good grip E1EF6177-A5E6-409E-97C8-212E2ED04B9A.png

8. Guillermo salinas

Guillermo salinas Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2019
    Azusa
    Do you think these will fit on a Bonneville T100 with the stock fenders?

9. ChasChas

ChasChas Marxist Scum

Aug 9, 2020
    Kent
    Personal pref, There is likely a dual puropse tyre that is angled for road riding and marketed to ditch pump owners who want the adventure bike look. It'll probably work well.

But not as well as a proper road tyre.

But seeing your location, you likely don't need wet road sipes anyhow ;)

10. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    Just type MT60 and your tyre size into eBay and you’ll soon find out if they do this tyre for your bike, when I first got my Scrambler I was amazed how good they are, the trick is that they are basically a road tyre made to look like an off-road tyre, the blocks are broad and low so you don’t get any squirm , everyone on the Ducati forum has raved about them, a few complained that you only get 4K miles before the rear is worn out but that has never bothered me , I’m on my 3rd rear and second front on my Scrambler:)

• Like Like x 1