01 Bonneville Non Runner

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by La_leo, Mar 25, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. La_leo

La_leo New Member

Mar 25, 2023
    USA
    Hello, new to the forum. I just purchased an 01 Triumph Bonneville with 12k miles on it. I bought it from a family friend who's owned it since new in 01. It's been sitting for several years. The gas is bad and the tank is varnished. The carbs overflow fuel when pressurized. I will remove and clean the tank and I plan on replacing rubber parts and filter. I want to rebuild the two carburetors. I'm trying to compile a list of parts that I'll need to rebuild the carbs. I want to put kehein parts back in the carbs, where is the best place to source what I need? Any suggestions or tips and tricks are welcome on getting this bike back in order. I also will do an oil change, inspect the chain, and put on new tires

• Like Like x 1
  2. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    Enjoy your project. Please come up with some pictures.;)

3. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    Welcome La_leo and enjoy the project. I use Allen's Performance for genuine carb parts. Cheaper than ordering the Triumph part.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Also
    nrp-carbs.co.uk

5. La_leo

La_leo New Member

Mar 25, 2023
    USA
    Do they ship to the US for a reasonable cost?

6. La_leo

La_leo New Member

Mar 25, 2023
    USA
    I have lots of work to do. The Tank is rusted pretty bad. Hopefully I can save it. I also have a single OEM muffler if any of you need one.

20230326_151614.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. La_leo

La_leo New Member

Mar 25, 2023
    USA
    So, got a lot done today. Something weird though. All the information I looked up so far shows the 2001 bonneville with a fuel filter and fuel pump in the tank. This one doesn't. Another thing is I can't see in the tank much at the filler neck since there's a baffle. Underneath is only the petcock. I removed the petcock it and it's pretty bad inside. I have vinegar soaking right now in the tank. I also found it odd there was also no inline fuel filter.

8. sprintdave

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Sorry, I wouldn't know. Why not drop them an email?

9. La_leo

La_leo New Member

Mar 25, 2023
    USA
    I inadvertently removed the tps sensor yesterday. I'll probably just put it back on and leave it unplugged.

10. La_leo

La_leo New Member

Mar 25, 2023
    USA
    Does anyone know where to get the little plastic filters for the tank tap/petcock? I need both.

11. La_leo

La_leo New Member

Mar 25, 2023
    USA
    So here is what I've learned so far: 1) I need a new petcock/fuel tap assembly since the screens on mine are completely gone. Probably the rubber o rings inside of it are too. I can't rebuild it because I can't find the replacement parts other than the gaskets. I can probably save the tank with my vinegar, followed by baking soda, followed by rinsing, drying, and coating in Marvel mystery oil (until I put non-ethanol gas in it.
    2) The carbs are extremely expensive, but more than likely I'll only need a bowl gasket, float valve, and new screws (but stainless hex heads) and use a JIS bit to remove the old ones. I do not know what size hex bolts i'll need to replace the OEM ones with yet. I'll need new fuel lines and vacuum lines. Hopefully, the carbs are still balanced. I bought a jet cleaning kit to hopefully keep the oem jets.

12. La_leo

La_leo New Member

Mar 25, 2023
    USA
    Decided to go with Pingel 6211-CH with Adapter A1602C . It's about 170 dollars no matter where I order it. It's only about 10 dollars more than the OEM fuel tap.

13. La_leo

La_leo New Member

Mar 25, 2023
    USA
    Here is where I'm at: The tank needs another vinegar soak. I think one more and it will be pretty much rust free. I have to order a new fuel tap. I will be breaking down the carbs soon. Gas apparently did go into the crankcase at some point when it was left stored. I will be doing a flush with cheap oil and a can of seafoam soon, maybe tomorrow. In reference to fork oil....do I really need to fully disassemble the forks just to change the fluid? Or can I just suck it out through the top caps? The seals are fine, but the bike is an 01 so I want to change it. I have a laundry list of maintenance procedures, including checking the valve clearance. If they need adjusting, I will for sure let the shop do it. Pulling the cams is more than I'm willing to trust myself with.

• Like Like x 1
  14. La_leo

La_leo New Member

Mar 25, 2023
    USA
    The fuel hose (T3620008) needs to be replaced on my bike. There's a little in line filter that doesn't seem to be available except for under a kawasaki part number (49019-1085). Would you guys have any objection to me using an in line k and n fuel filter instead? The small clear plastic ones. I'd have to cut a section of line to fit it but it would be easier to monitor as it got dirty.

• Like Like x 1
  15. sprintdave

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Don't see why not, it's your bike and I probably would if it was mine

• Agree Agree x 1