00 Sprint Rs Won't Go Into Neutral Until Engine Stopped

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Robert Wagner, Jul 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Robert Wagner

Robert Wagner New Member

Jul 30, 2019
    Minneapolis, MN
    I purchased the bike last year and the previous owner told me of this 'glitch'. The shift lever is not moving to allow the engine to into neutral until the bike is not running. Then it is easily pupped up into neutral. What could be the problem?

Otherwise the bike shifts fine into all other gears and rides like a champ.

2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I’d be checking the clutch adjustment to ensure there’s no drag when the lever is pulled in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Clutch plates likely to be sticky
    Need to take them out, clean tgen, bathe them on oil overnight and reassemble
    Or a new clutch kit

• Like Like x 1
  4. Robert Wagner

Robert Wagner New Member

Jul 30, 2019
    Minneapolis, MN
    This is where I get nervous. I haven't pulled anything off a motorcycle engine. Looking at the service manual I need a tool (T3880305) to hold the inner and outer clutch together. First, I don't have that tool and I am somewhat hesitant to tackle this job on my own. Concerns around making sure everything is aligned as it should in assembly vs when taken apart. Can anyone give me some feedback of what kind of skill level this task would take? I'll be looking to YT for videos if they exist. Thanks

5. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    Looks like the clutch is the same assembly as the later model, with 5 bolts. Then, no special tool needed. Basic tools are ok.
    The tip is to respect the order of plate/steel disc types. On my ST 2005 plates have 2 different thickness, steel plates too, and you'll have to respect the order.
    The most difficult part is not the clutch itself, but to clean out the old housing joint. Not a difficult job, but takes hours.

Not a difficult job, but you need to be organized and take your time.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    You might.consider a good oil and filter change first. You probably have what ever oil in there the last owner used. If so, you do not know the viscosity, or how old it is. ...J.D.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    This would be a good move, as well as checking the cable adjustment before thinking about pulling the clutch apart.
    It may benefit from a new clutch cable if it’s an old one/ still the original

• Like Like x 3
  8. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I worked turning wrenches most of my life. I learned early on. Always check for the simple stuff first. It can really save you a lot of work. ;) ...J.D.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Robert Wagner

Robert Wagner New Member

Jul 30, 2019
    Minneapolis, MN
    Good to know, I just changed the oil and Filter using Synthetic Oil 15w-50 and a Triumph oil filter. Thinking I'll ride a bit with the new oil change and see if after a few rides the clutch works better going into neutral.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Maybe you will have to get in to the clutch, maybe not. Time will tell. I had one of mine.start "crawling" at stoplights with the clutch lever pulled all the way in. I checked the cable adjustment and it seemed fine. I changed the oil and the problem was gone. I had not owned it very long, and had never changed the oil myself. You never know what the last guy did or did not do. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 4