“triumph Doesn’t Do ‘oil Changes’ ?”

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Jschroeder, Sep 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jschroeder

Jschroeder New Member

Feb 28, 2019
    Long Island, NY
    Hi all. I just called my nearest dealer to schedule an oil change for my 2018 T100. The bike is still under warranty so I want to do everything by the book. When I brought it in for the 500mi/1 month service, the tech said “bring it back at 3000 for an oil change, not 6000 like the book says.” Okayyyy, so I call today to make an appointment and the person I speak to now says that it needs a “service” and that Triumph doesn’t do “just” oil changes, and that it will need everything that was done at the 500mi service. Keep in mind I had that service done in March about a month after getting the bike. The bike was bought brand new as an ‘18 leftover. Does this sound right to anyone else? They told me the service would cost around $350. It doesn’t sound right to have to pay $350 every 3000 miles I ride this bike.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    I had the same with a car last week. They didn't have a service counter, oh no, they had a service salesman to add the personal touch? and exceed your real needs and requirements :worried:

£190 for oil and filter plus a rear wiper and external wash... :confused: all in the sake of a warranty.

If your servicing early on time AND mileage then stick to your guns as the warranty shouldn't be jeopardized in anyway especially if a main stealer is doing it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Jschroeder

Jschroeder New Member

Feb 28, 2019
    Long Island, NY
    Here’s another question then: is there any reason to do an oil change at 3000, and not 6000 like the manual specifically states?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    #4 thebiglad, Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    If your main priority is to protect the warranty, then go exactly by the bike service schedule. If you want to give your bike the very best chance of good running, why don't you do an oil-change yourself, every other 3000 mls?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    JSchroeder
    Your dealer is a prat. Do you oil change your self and report this to Triumph. Triumph have tested the bike and know slightly better than some dolt looking for your money. I change my oil every year myself and the dealer I used to go to said I was crazy as it needs to do it work before changing and that I was wasting money as the oils of today are designed to last much longer than the service intervals.
    Regards
    Joe

• Like Like x 4
  6. Jschroeder

Jschroeder New Member

Feb 28, 2019
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks for the input everyone. I’ll follow the service guidelines in the manual.

7. Paul Langford

Paul Langford Member

Oct 21, 2018
    Cornwall
    When you call the dealer they have to err on the side of caution and its the old classic where the bikes done about 500 miles in a year but as 12 months has passed they will still say it needs a service. In reality it just needs a quick check over. People start saying you should change the oil every year regardless as it might have got contaminated from condensation etc. Yes.. even decent oil doesn't cost a fortune but to be honest if its lived in your front room through the winter it wouldn't need it.
    So it all horses for courses but i wouldn't panic.... that bike that`s been at the dealership for 18 months wont be getting an oil change just because its gone over 12 months.
    Common sense is whats needed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. triumph900

triumph900 Active Member

Dec 24, 2017
    US
    I change my oil more often than recommended, just because it makes me feel better. I work around the recommended intervals, and I generally go to dealer for the scheduled services. I’d do the oil/filter change myself if I were you. I’d also call another dealer just for grins. Another option is to use an independent shop for general maintenance.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gazwhitespeed

Gazwhitespeed Senior Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Northampton
    That's B---ocks,They are just after your money,6000ml intervals then 6000 it is,my bike will be out of warranty at the end of this month and it will get a service when it reaches 6000mls,just had this very "discussion" with my dealer,he says the bike should have it's "YEARLY " service,when i finished telling him to swivel,i said i am not having a yearly service anymore now its out of warranty i am sticking to the service schedule which is every 6000mls,so if it takes 3yrs to do another 6000mls then it will get serviced in 3yrs time,otherwise what are service schedules for,you go by the mileage not by how long its taken you to do however many miles in 1 year,sometimes you might only do 800mls in a year and you have got to have it serviced again even though the oil is only 800mls old,what a con.My bike is currently on 4800mls so he wanted me to have it serviced now[yearly] then again in 1200mls when it's properly due,that could be the difference of only 1 month,yeah really.Not a triumph by the way,i wouldn't trust them to blow my tyres up.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #10 Eldon, Sep 16, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    I agree with most of your sentiment but as I service my vehicles myself (once outside warranty) then I usually do it annually irrespective of mileage.
    I feel servicing and PCP's are the main income routes now margins and outright new sales appear to be dwindling.

11. Leland Berg

Leland Berg New Member

Aug 9, 2018
    Glendora, California
    That's just BS. They're trying to upsell you. If this is your local shop I truly feel bad for you . How are you ever going to trust them?